Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2-3 per gallon lol 20+ :shock2: in a 10 gallon tank? does that seem crowded or what? or should it be like 1 shrimp per 2 square inches of the tank bed. wouldnt that be better? i go to pet depot, petland, pet discount, are those ok plaves? they are inslandwide in hawaii so i would think its obviously a good company? any bad stuff you guys heard fromo these companies?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you only want shrimp as a cleaning crew for a livebearer tank - what would you guys recommend (type and quantity)? I would like to have shrimp that eat detrius as well as algae. I have a 55g community tank with platies, mollies, and a couple of rainbowfish. Planted tank with a fluval 304 filter. Ph is 7.8 and the params are generally really good (thanks to the plants).

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
In a 10 gallon, a few ammano shrimp (algae eating shrimp) and a few ghost shrimp should be plenty for what you need. You could try the red cherry shrimp for algae depending on which mollys you're keeping. I wouldn't keep the cherry shrimp with sailfin or any of the larger mollys and I'm make sure there's a lot of live plant cover if trying to mix with ghost shrimp. In a 55 gallon tank, you could do quite a few shrimp, especially if it's planted. My ghosties breed often in the thick java moss, but they're the only shrimp in the tank. They do a great job of all of it.
Most other freshwater shrimp are going to get too big for a 10 gallon.
In answer to your question about the LFS's you listed, the only negative I've heard about them is in their advice. Most of those companies don't educate their staff members, and they tend to give a lot of misinformation. My best advice for you is to research before you buy, avoid impulse buying, and use common sense. If something doesn't seem right to you, doesn't make sense, wait, come here and ask, and then buy if you still want to or need to. This includes equipment that is "extra", also. These stores are good in "sales", and tend to be out to make money. If you run across a specific employee who seems to always give you accurate and correct information when you ask (after you've confirmed it) then stick with that person and use them as a guide when you can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts