Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to fish breeding. I have around 8 discus in a 100 gallon tank. My problem is trying to keep a pH of 6.8 and still maintaining alkality or kH at around 4 to 5 dKH.

I've tried conditioning my water with Prime and added diluted phosphoric acid into a container which I age the water for 2 to 3 days. I get 6.8pH but 0 to 1 dKH. I know this can easily cause pH swings, hence I tried adding sodium bicarbonate to increase the dKH. However, I realize the pH goes up when adding the baking soda.

Hence how so I maintain 6.8pH with 4dKH, what buffer solutions should I prepare?

Thanks
[email protected]

Sent from my M2007J1SC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 aquaria: live plants, shrimp, snails, celestial danios, white clouds, corys, ottos...
24 Posts
I'm sorry I cannot offer direct advice, but with my limited knowledge of chemistry, I don't know that it's possible to raise hardness without an accompanying rise in pH level. The minerals present in hard water tend to buffer/neutralize the acidity.

You may be able to add limestone chips to your substrate and/or filter media to increase your GH/KH but I suspect your pH will come up with it.

Were I faced with the choice, I would be more inclined to keep pH at recommended levels than the hardness.

Hopefully someone with greater knowledge can chime in and help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts