Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Halo, apa kabar?

(It means "Hi, how are you?" in Indonesian).

I'm Aldian from Indonesia. It's my first post here :)

I have a 40G breeder tank with plants and goldfish (I attached its left side view. The front view got light reflection). I got bored with goldfish and want to replace them with 4 - 6 German Blue Rams as the main fish. (I have GBR in my discus planted tank and love them!)

For the tank mates, is 12 - 18 Serpae Tetra suitable for GBR in this tank?

I'm confused about serpae because I read many conflicting posts about serpae. Some said serpae is fin nipper, while some said serpae tetra lives peacefully with their rams. Some also said that serpae is fast eater that leave nothing for the rams.

If (that's a big IF) serpae tetra doesn't work with GBR, is Ember tetra or Galaxy rasbora suitable for rams considering ember and galaxy are very small fish?

My first preference is definitely Serpae tetra since Ember tetra and Galaxy rasbora are very shy and mostly hide between plants (from my own experience in previous planted tank).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Halo, apa kabar?

(It means "Hi, how are you?" in Indonesian).

I'm Aldian from Indonesia. It's my first post here :)

I have a 40G breeder tank with plants and goldfish (I attached its left side view. The front view got light reflection). I got bored with goldfish and want to replace them with 4 - 6 German Blue Rams as the main fish. (I have GBR in my discus planted tank and love them!)

For the tank mates, is 12 - 18 Serpae Tetra suitable for GBR in this tank?

I'm confused about serpae because I read many conflicting posts about serpae. Some said serpae is fin nipper, while some said serpae tetra lives peacefully with their rams. Some also said that serpae is fast eater that leave nothing for the rams.

If (that's a big IF) serpae tetra doesn't work with GBR, is Ember tetra or Galaxy rasbora suitable for rams considering ember and galaxy are very small fish?

My first preference is definitely Serpae tetra since Ember tetra and Galaxy rasbora are very shy and mostly hide between plants (from my own experience in previous planted tank).
Hai,
Biak baik saja! Dan pak? Saya berbicara sedikit bahasa. :)
And also, welcome to TFK! One thing I would suggest is starting up your own topic so you can get faster and easier results.
I do believe serpae tetras will work, all you have it do is:
a) feed a bit more so the rams notice
b) feed in two spots, the rams will soon catch on and go to the other side away from the tetras
c) feed them a sinking pellet while you feed the tetras whatever you normally feed them - they will not take pellet food however

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hai,
Biak baik saja! Dan pak? Saya berbicara sedikit bahasa. :)
And also, welcome to TFK! One thing I would suggest is starting up your own topic so you can get faster and easier results.
I do believe serpae tetras will work, all you have it do is:
a) feed a bit more so the rams notice
b) feed in two spots, the rams will soon catch on and go to the other side away from the tetras
c) feed them a sinking pellet while you feed the tetras whatever you normally feed them - they will not take pellet food however
Howdy mate!

That's wonderful. I'll buy another feeding ring for them :)

I wonder if serpae tetra eats faster than rummy nose? I have GBR in my discus tank along with rummy nose tetra and corydoras, and the GBR gets enough to eat. Discus eats slower than GBR!

I feed them combination of Tetra Bits and frozen blood worms.

Ya the rams and serpaes will work perfectly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Awesome! I just bought 18 serpae and 6 rams this afternoon, and moved the goldies to QT :-D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Okay cool. Are the rams 3 pairs?

Also on a different subject. I suggest you get rid of the tetra bits and get some omega one, new life spectrum, or northfin foods. Much better brands.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The rams are 3 males and 3 females. They haven't paired up yet. Hopefully they'll pair up nicely.

Unfortunately the only branded food available here are limited choices of Tetra, JBL and Sera. And the most popular one is Tetra Bits (although it's the most expensive one). There are some Chinese / Taiwan and local brands, but I never buy them.

There's no Omega One, NLS or Northfin here :(

So for my shellies, I feed them JBL NovoGrano mini. It's the only branded sinking small pellets that I can find. I read that many shellies owner feed theirs NLS Grow 0.5 mm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.