Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days ago my 10G tank was great. After adding a few puffer fish I started feeding frozen food as I was told they won't eat dry foods. I bought various frozen foods and have since fed them 2 servings of brine shrimp.

Today my tank has a thick oily substance floating across the top, enough to stop air getting into the water. Also the smell is horrendous!!!

Is this the frozen food causing this?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
2 days ago my 10G tank was great. After adding a few puffer fish I started feeding frozen food as I was told they won't eat dry foods. I bought various frozen foods and have since fed them 2 servings of brine shrimp.

Today my tank has a thick oily substance floating across the top, enough to stop air getting into the water. Also the smell is horrendous!!!

Is this the frozen food causing this?
Very well could be. What do you consider a serving to be ? Those portion packs are intended to keep the rest of the package fresh more so than being a suggested feeding amount. You could probably get by feeding 1/3 of a cube a day for a few small puffers.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes, sounds like you may be feeding too much. I use a cube for about 25 fish, so yes, I'd agree you probably only need about 1/3 of a cube. Experiment with it until you find just the right amount.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had almost the same problem years ago (oil slick and rotten smell)when i had Jack Dempsey that had babies. i had to split the tank up with a divider and one of the pieces of frozen meat got jammed between the divider and hood and the fish coundnt get to it .

Just Do a water change and take out the rotten meat out with a vacuum. the smell should be gone

·
Registered
558 Posts
Agree^^^

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
How are you feeding it? Are you just putting the cube in the tank?

It needs to be defrosted in a bowl of tank water (just sitting at room temp, don't microwave it), and then you feed the worms individually with tweezers or a pipette.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Don't feed the whole cube to that few fish or even that tank size. On my frozen food days I'll take a cube of brine and a cube of daphnia( or whatever else...I lke to mix two) and that gets split between my 75gallon angel/ Bala shark( and some other fish/shrimp) tank, my 48g lobster barb tank my 20g betta corydora tank and to the kids nightlight betta tanks as well sometimes. Two cubes does feed that much. Just wanted to give you a good mental picture of how far that food should be spread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts