Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try a frozen food cause i here the fishes color will be enhanced when feeding frozen food. i broke of a frozen chunk of the stuff and put it in the tank only to find that the thing just disolved and my fish dident get any. It is the sanfransico bay kind.

·
Banned
786 Posts
trreherd said:
I wanted to try a frozen food cause i here the fishes color will be enhanced when feeding frozen food. i broke of a frozen chunk of the stuff and put it in the tank only to find that the thing just disolved and my fish dident get any. It is the sanfransico bay kind.
"Something somewhere is bad wrong"!

You should be able to see the individual brine shrimp.

(Are these Baby Brine Shrimp? which I doubt).

From the context of your post I believe that you have purchased the "large pack" with a "sealable end".

The "only thing that I can think of" is that the package has been thawed and refrozen.

IMHO, unless your are an "experienced feeder" I would discard it (I know that this is tough due to price)!

TR

BTW:
I (meaning only me and "all of my stupid 'stunts'") would try mixing the brine shrimp with flakes to form a to mixture with the consistency of a "mildly wetted cereal" and try feeding it.
I would try this only if you have significant biological (as well as mechanical) filtration in your aquarium.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thaw it out in sometank water in a cup first, then pour that water in the tank, that will work better.

btw the fact that food is frozen won't affect the colours of the fish at all, otherwise i would feed my fish ice!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i know the fact that is frozen wont anything but tipicaly frozen foods will have more nutrients and stuff.
I did not buy the big pack i bought a small one.
I will Look in the bottom of the back to see if the pack thawed and the shrimp sunk to the bottom.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
What kind of fish are you feeding it to? Also, always thaw frozen foods in a cup of tank water first. Putting it directly into the tank that way will create cold pockets in your water, and this could be very dangerous to your fish. If they swim through it, the sudden change in temp can throw the body into shock, and the results can be fatal.
If you're looking for frozen food to enhance color, let us know what kind of fish you're keeping and we can suggest some that are healthy for the kind of fish you keep. Nutrition needs vary among species.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
bettababy said:
If you're looking for frozen food to enhance color, let us know what kind of fish you're keeping and we can suggest some that are healthy for the kind of fish you keep. Nutrition needs vary among species.
I could have sworn someone here tried carrots and mentioned that carrots are great color enhancers.
And so do paprikas.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
786 Posts
Blue said:
I could have sworn someone here tried carrots and mentioned that carrots are great color enhancers.
I have observed that carrots, spinach and beef heart "really do increase" the colors of my fishies (meaning their health).

I feed other "meats and veggies" just for variety for my fishies.

Someone mentioned corn and hominey.
IMHO this is a real "No No" per the literature and I have therefore never tried it.

TR

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i have tried carrot pulp....i juice carrots in a juicer to make juice (for me) and i then feed some of the pulp to the fish. its very messy, and they dont eat a whole lot of it, so i dont do it often. also, i cant seem to get my fish onto the BS...for some reason they havent taken to it.

·
Banned
786 Posts
girlofgod said:
... also, i cant seem to get my fish onto the BS...for some reason they havent taken to it.
Something is wrong but do not know what it is.

When I 1st fed it a feeding frenzy ensued (although nothing like my homemade mixtures).

TR

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not just triing to enhance the color of my fishes but i want them to be more healthy. Lately my neons have been all discolored and im triing to find a solution and im consdering there diet as a posible cause.
Can anyone tell me of some frozen food for 3 neon tetras,1cory cat,2guppies,and i have a shrimp.
I took a chunk of the brine shrimp from the bottom of the back and thawed it i a cup of water and this time i actualy saw the shrimp. I dumped it in the tank and the fish did not like it that much. I heard neons love meaty foods buy mine only like flaked food?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Some fish just don't seem to like particular foods... I'm not sure why, you just have to keep looking around until you find come foods that they do like.
If they don't like bloodworms, try brineshrimp, you can also get blackworms, and many other frozen foods for them. It is good obviously to have a varied diet, and will keep their colours vibrant and keep them looking healthy. A little veg from time to time is also good (try carrot or cucumber, and weigh it down)
It's basically like you having bread every day if they are only fed flake food, so, just like us, they will benefit from a more varied diet. :D

·
Banned
786 Posts
Kathryn said:
... and many other frozen foods for them. It is good obviously to have a varied diet, and will keep their colours vibrant and keep them looking healthy. A little veg from time to time is also good (try carrot or cucumber, and weigh it down)
It's basically like you having bread every day if they are only fed flake food, so, just like us, they will benefit from a more varied diet. :D
This post "leads directly back into" my home made food recipies
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2101&highlight=

TR

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If you are looking for something new to feed your fish, add color, and contribute to good health, you could try frozen formula 1 cubes. Again, thaw them in a cup until warmed all the way through. If the fish eat frozen parts not already thawed, it will hurt them. Once thawed, crumble a cube into the tank.
Sometimes fish can be picky and not want to eat what we offer them. If you stop feeding any other food, give them a couple of days without anything, then feed them with the food you are trying (like the brine or formula), they will tend to eat it because they're hungry. Once they have eaten it, they learn to accept it as another food source.
The healthiest way to feed your fish is to alternate foods, one food one day, another food the next day, and so on.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
It is not just for saltwater fish. I use it all the time, freshwater AND saltwater. It's a healthy food for both, so long as you don't over feed them, because it will pollute the tank quickly if it's not eaten right away. Oscars find this a good supplement, and it brings out the colors in them, and any other fishes that are omnivorous in nature. Most tetras, mollys, swordtails, barbs, angels, central and south american cichlids, loaches, corys... the list goes on for the number of species that can and will eat it, and it's good for them. The only fish I wouldn't give the Formula 1 to are vegetarian fish, and in their case, I simply go to Formula 2 because it contains more plant matter, but not much. There IS a difference between the different forms of Formula food, and I find the flake and pellet versions to be useless, as most fish won't eat them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts