Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So, recently i rescued 4 baby platys, and im afraid my experience with them has not been very well, i have about 1 left.
Let me tell you a little about their environment:
10 gal tank, filtered, heated, airstone, lights. The babys are staying in a imagitarium breeders net. I am feeding them my adult molly/ platy flake food (minced down of course) and little micro pellets.. Besides them, in the tank there are 2 molly fish and 1 platy. I unfortunately have not been able to get to pet store since my other platy died, so i only have 3 adults.

Im expecting that my mollys will probably breed and im hoping to save the babies next time. Im not sure what else i am missing as far as upkeep for these little dudes. But i dont want them all to die all the time!

Please give me all the advice i need for keeping these little ones alive!

Also, These ones are at least 3 weeks old.. Can they go in the big tank with the rest of the fish? Do i need to worry about them getting sucked up in the filter?

Also for better preparation in the future. what do i do when i notice that a fish looks pregnant?

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
240 Posts
4 notes.
1. Generally, you want more females than males.
2. No, you do not need to worry about them being sucked into the filter, assuming it’s not ridiculously oversized.
3. Do not buy more fish. I cannot emphasize this enough. Let things settle down. Give it two weeks between deaths, and buying a new fish.
4. Could you add these guys back in the tank? Maybe. It depends on a lot of things, one being luck, but others you can control, such as cover, food amounts, and stocking amount. I always raise my fish with my other fish. This is not the standard way, but if you provide enough cover, than it should work.
Best of luck,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts