Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I got back this evening just in time to witness some strange behavior with my Amano's, i have one large one and two small shrimps, the small shrimps were on the large ones head for quite a while (see attached picture), every now and then the big one would swim away only to be joined by the others.

After a while the big one pulled away and shed an exoskeleton, the small ones kept chasing it about the tank for quite a while, they are all calm now.

Were they helping the big one out, was it a defense mechanism to shed or do i have male and females?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well that looks like a male on top, and a female on the bottom to my eyes. You may have had an attempt at mating. I know with cherries males will sometimes swim around the tank all excitedly when they scent a ready female.

I also know a female cherry once her eggs have been fertilized, will not shed again until after the babies hatch. So that may have been the males trying to encourage the female into breeding.

Either way, I bet it was fun to watch! Wish I could find some amanos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.