Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been away from fishkeeping for a while and just wondering about the comment in "Freshwater Fishkeeping for Dummies". They suggest that you fast your fish one day /week. Any experience or opinions on this practice would be appreciated. Have tried this and of course the next day they eat vigorously!
Regards.
Bob

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Been away from fishkeeping for a while and just wondering about the comment in "Freshwater Fishkeeping for Dummies". They suggest that you fast your fish one day /week. Any experience or opinions on this practice would be appreciated. Have tried this and of course the next day they eat vigorously!
Regards.
Bob
I think generally we over feed our tanks and that in fact most problems we face are from that overfeeding.

So I feed once per day. Tanks look better fish are happy and have ran for up to 9 years that way.

Additionally when out of town, I have left the tank from up to two weeks with no feeding. Came back to fish glad to see me and a cleaner tank.

So I guess a fasting day would probably be a good thing.

my .02

·
Registered
201 Posts
Depends on the fish, mine eat the plants if I skip or don't spread out the feeding. Rotating foods during the week is probably better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feed once daily and about once every ten days I fast them. I find it helps keep the aquarium cleaner and the cichlids will eat algae in the aquarium.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts