Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have a 500 liter planted aquarium (L150 x W50 x H72). It has been running for 6 months now and my plants have started to die.

The first to go was java moss. I couldn't get it to grow at all. Next my japanese moss balls disappeared.

Elodea is nearly gone and so are some other plants. Let me know if a full list is required to determine the problem.

I have tetratec 1200 and a power head (3500 l/h) with a sponge and aeration tube attached.

My nitrite levels are low <0.03. I did how ever have high nitrate level which is now taken care off.

In terms of stock - cherry shrimp, filtrator shrimps, amano shrimps, about 12 assasin snails, 3 guppies, 1 siamese algae eater, 5 ghost catfish, 2 ottos, 5 Melanotaenia, аnd about 6-7 other small fish species No more than 5 cm in length.

Fish are fed twice a day with dried pellet food and ond frozen blood warm once a day.

I have 3 x 36 watt light bulbs. 1 for tropical fish, 1 for plants 1 normal for office use.

I also do water changes with aquasafe, vitamin and plantamin.

Why are my plants dying? What test can i do to find out the culprit? Is the powerhead to strong? Would to much current affect plants?

P.S. let me know if any additional information is required.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hello all!

I have a 500 liter planted aquarium (L150 x W50 x H72). It has been running for 6 months now and my plants have started to die.

The first to go was java moss. I couldn't get it to grow at all. Next my japanese moss balls disappeared.

Elodea is nearly gone and so are some other plants. Let me know if a full list is required to determine the problem.

I have tetratec 1200 and a power head (3500 l/h) with a sponge and aeration tube attached.

My nitrite levels are low <0.03. I did how ever have high nitrate level which is now taken care off.

In terms of stock - cherry shrimp, filtrator shrimps, amano shrimps, about 12 assasin snails, 3 guppies, 1 siamese algae eater, 5 ghost catfish, 2 ottos, 5 Melanotaenia, аnd about 6-7 other small fish species No more than 5 cm in length.

Fish are fed twice a day with dried pellet food and ond frozen blood warm once a day.

I have 3 x 36 watt light bulbs. 1 for tropical fish, 1 for plants 1 normal for office use.

I also do water changes with aquasafe, vitamin and plantamin.

Why are my plants dying? What test can i do to find out the culprit? Is the powerhead to strong? Would to much current affect plants?

P.S. let me know if any additional information is required.
Could be the plants are reacting to the lowered nutrients.

Lights should be 6500k and are they incandescent or fluorescent? If the latter is the 36 watts the actual watts or incandescent equivalent watts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Could be the plants are reacting to the lowered nutrients.

Lights should be 6500k and are they incandescent or fluorescent? If the latter is the 36 watts the actual watts or incandescent equivalent watts?
Which nutrients do I need to check for?

I believe i have:
1 x Т8 Sylvania Aquastar, 36 Wt , 120 cm
1 x Т8 Sylvania Gro-lux 36 Wt, 120 cm
1 x Т8 PHILIPS TL-D36w/54-765, 120 cm

Will update with exact models this evening.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If I've done my conversions correctly that's about a 140g tank or so and around 5 feet long.

If so then you need more light than 2x36w=72w you currently are using.

I think you will find you plants will do much better when you add another 72W fixture. That would get you at one w/g.

my .02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which nutrients do I need to check for?

I believe i have:
1 x Т8 Sylvania Aquastar, 36 Wt , 120 cm
1 x Т8 Sylvania Gro-lux 36 Wt, 120 cm
1 x Т8 PHILIPS TL-D36w/54-765, 120 cm

Will update with exact models this evening.
Sorry for the above, i edited it to remove pictures as they were to large. Just took a look at what i actually have:

1 x T8 JBL Solar tropic 36Watt
2 x Т8 PHILIPS MASRTER TL-D36w/865, 120 cm

So my only problem is light? What can be wrong with nutrients? Current has defently nothing to do with it?

Here are some pictures of the aquarium and plants.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sorry for the above, i edited it to remove pictures as they were to large. Just took a look at what i actually have:

1 x T8 JBL Solar tropic 36Watt
2 x Т8 PHILIPS MASRTER TL-D36w/865, 120 cm

So my only problem is light? What can be wrong with nutrients? Current has defently nothing to do with it?

Here are some pictures of the aquarium and plants.
could be other things also but to me you need more light.

my .02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just saw that i need 221 watts in my aqarium....

How am i supposed to get this much?!

Thats at least 6 bulbs, i have barely enough space for 3...

If i use LED strips, would that solve my problem? Led light is more direct and should reach the bottom more easily?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I just saw that i need 221 watts in my aqarium....

How am i supposed to get this much?!

Thats at least 6 bulbs, i have barely enough space for 3...

If i use LED strips, would that solve my problem? Led light is more direct and should reach the bottom more easily?
IMHO you don't need that much. That is more for people with the "high tech" planted setups, with lotsa light, co2 additions, dosing nutrients and so on.

I have found that 1-1.5 watts per gallon in my low tech setups with no co2 and no added nutrients is fine for plants.

Again if my conversions to English units are correct you have a 5' wide tank. On my 55g which was 4'x1' I could use two utility fixtures 4' long with 2 t-8 tubes per fixture. that would be 4*32 for 128 watts and would do just fine for about any plants.

Hopefully you can find similar metric fixtures where you are at. While not the prettiests they are very functional and here a fixture with 2 tubes is around $15 US or so.

Otherwise you may have to use the more expensive but prettier fixtures designed for aquariums. some even use high output (HO) on planted setups.

Once you get more light I think you will find your plants do much better and your tank will be able to support more fish which will provide more nutrients for the plants.

my .02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so the way the top cover i designed and the way the filter tubes are fed into the aquarium - i am stuck with 3 light bulbs. Ill post some pics later on.

The cheapest solution i found i the following:
Telefunken G13 18W 4K

Its as strong as 200 watt bulb, and has 1500 lumens, temp 4200K.

I really don't see any cons and i couldn't find much info on the forum. So are there any?

If i swap two current light bulbs, i should be covered?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Ok so the way the top cover i designed and the way the filter tubes are fed into the aquarium - i am stuck with 3 light bulbs. Ill post some pics later on.

The cheapest solution i found i the following:
Telefunken G13 18W 4K

Its as strong as 200 watt bulb, and has 1500 lumens, temp 4200K.

I really don't see any cons and i couldn't find much info on the forum. So are there any?

If i swap two current light bulbs, i should be covered?
I can't see that link at work but the 200w equivalent bothers me. Could be the equivalent incandescent wattage which is not the correct. The wattage we use in the actual florescent wattage.

Just checked and it that's an led light I'm no expert.

a fluorescent 32 watt t-8 4 foot tube has around 3000 lumens for instance.

I generally prefer the 6500k light also.

But again I'm no expert on led lights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts