Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An appropriate title if I do say so myself! This thread is obviously about food!

I'm very interested in animal nutrition and I want to know more about how you guys feed your fish. So here's a couple of questions

1. What kind of food do you feed?

2. Do you have multiple kinds of fish in one tank that require different foods? How do you manage that?

3. Do you feed any live feeds? How often?

4. Frozen or freeze dried? How often?

I've also read somewhere that the fish keeper should feed their fish multiple times a day to simulate the number of times a day the fish would eat naturally in the wild.
5. Do you agree with this? How many times a day do you feed your fish?

6. What nutritional substances are essential to all fish?

7. What sorts of things should I watch out for in my fish food?

8. What are the benefits of growing organic algae outside of the tank to be fed to algae eaters?

9. Flakes or pellets?

10. What food brand do you prefer?

Thanks for answering all the questions!

~BluFish
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
An appropriate title if I do say so myself! This thread is obviously about food!

I'm very interested in animal nutrition and I want to know more about how you guys feed your fish. So here's a couple of questions

NLS Thera A. My fish haven't eaten anything else in about 5 years.

2. Do you have multiple kinds of fish in one tank that require different foods? How do you manage that?

They all eat the NLS. It can be very difficult to make sure this fish eats this food and that fish eats that food. Target feeding is what people have to do in that situation, which isn't always easy.

I do have fish together that have different appetite levels. To make sure that every fish can get their share I over feed. I have snails in the tank to clean up leftover food.

Never

Never

I've also read somewhere that the fish keeper should feed their fish multiple times a day to simulate the number of times a day the fish would eat naturally in the wild.

Once a day, most days.

They don't need to eat every day.

High quality proteins, high quality plant sources. There are also vitamins that are added to many foods.

The ingredients. The protein sources should be whole ____ meal. All fish food uses binders, such as wheat and soy. That's fine, as long as there aren't 5 kinds of wheat. That's a ploy to misrepresent the abundance of the ingredient. By breaking it up Into specific components they can place them farther down the list. Too, the use of preservatives. One should be enough.

8. What are the benefits of growing organic algae outside of the tank to be fed to algae eaters?

Having a steady supply of algae for them to eat. One of the problems with otos for example, is that people get them when there is no or not enough algae to support them. By cultivating algae outside the tank you can make sure that they will not starve. Yes some will eat algae wafers but some will not.

9. Flakes or pellets?

Pellets. Flakes degrade significantly faster in the water due to the high surface area to volume ratio. A larger portion of the foods volume is in contact with the air an water. Pellets are better protected in that regard. Pellets are generally made with higher quality ingredients. Too, their lower area to volume ratio means oxidation is not as big of a problem, which compromises the quality of the food.

NLS (new life spectrum)

~BluFish

Posted via Mobile Device

You're welcome - answers are embedded in your post if you haven't already noticed.

·
Registered
840 Posts
foooooood!!!!!!

Flakes, frozen brine shrimp, canned corn, frozen peas, earthworms, frozen krill.

Everyone eats as much as they can of the foods they like best. For example my cichlids love corn and peas, but the catfish barely touch them, the catfish go nuts for brine shrimp while the cichlids only peck at a few.

About once per week or so I feed live earthworms as a treat.

I feed frozen brine shrimp and krill about twice per week.

I feed once per day, my kids and wife disobey my wishes and feed another 2-3 times.

I'm not an expert so I can't really say...but my fish seem to thrive on whole foods like krill and brine shrimp, earthworms. Feeding the veggies ( corn and peas) keeps my cichlids from killing my plants.

I always caution against feeding live feeder fish because of the risk of introducing disease. Years ago it was common for live goldfish or guppies to be the main part of the diet of many cichlids. Most keepers now seem to favor a more ballanced diet that does not include live fish.

??????

9. Flakes or pellets?

Flakes, but only because my wife keeps buying them. I swear I have 7-8 containers of flakes, which is 6-7 more than I need!

For frozen foods, SanFranciso Bay brand is highest quality that I've seen. Hikari seems to have a lot of particles and broken pieces

Thanks for posting this, I'm sure many people will be interested.
~skylight

~BluFish
Posted via Mobile Device
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
1. New Life Spectrum Thera + A, Omega One flakes, have some old tetra min flakes I feed occasionally, brine shrimp, brine shrimp with spiraling, blood worms.

2. Not really... They all seem to eat whatever I feed.

3. No.

4. Frozen every other day, or so, lately. Probably too much.

5. 2-3 times a day, usually 2. My angelfish are growing.

6. Proteins, vitamins by definition are essential....

7. High quality, whole food ingredients.

8. Probably more natural and healthy than feeding prepared foods.

9. My fish like flakes much more but I try to give them pellets since they are healthier and they make much less of a mess.

10. Hikari for frozen and new life spectrum for dry foods seems best.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
1. New Life Spectrum Thera A Small Fish Formula Pellets (super tiny pellets that my Harlequin Rasboras can easily manage), Omega One Sinking Shrimp Pellets, and I have some Omega One flakes that I use every once in awhile for variety.

2. I have Kuhli loaches (they stay mostly on the bottom of the tank), so I have to feed them the sinking pellets. They're too big for the Rasboras to do anything with but mouth them, so I just toss them in the tank and eventually they make it to the bottom for the loaches. I hand feed my rasboras, I just pinch some food and hold my fingers in the tank and let a few pellets out at a time.

3. In the summer time I set up bowls of water for mosquito larvae, which I harvest from every other day or so and feed to my fish. Usually only the Rasboras get them, unless a few manage to swim into range for the loaches. I'm also looking into having a blackworm culture.

4. I have frozen blood worms. They get fed these once per week on water change day, and I feed them via a turkey baster. Light pressure to feed the Rasboras, higher pressure to squirt them to the bottom of the tank for the loaches.

5. I think it's a good idea, but I also think feeding that way it would be easy to over feed your fish. I generally feed once per day. I don't feed a lot (that 'feed what your fish can eat in two minutes' rule on fish food is ridiculous! My fish would explode if I let them have a two minute meal!)

6. You got me there. Best I can say is that I look for foods that have the first few ingredients as some combination of fish/krill/shrimp.

7. Fillers. I always read the label to make sure the first ingredients are actual food and not fillers like flour. Of course that's going to be IN the food, I just don't want that to be the first ingredient.

8. I think that's great idea! Especially for sensitive fish, like Oto cats, who have a hard time adjusting to processed foods. I think there's nothing better than feeding your fish what they were designed to eat, instead of processed food. If you can manage it, go for it!

9. Pellets. Flakes are messy, and my fish don't really like eating from the surface of the water.

10. NLS, for the small fish formula pellets.

Hope that was helpful, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I should probably also mention that today I found one of my containers has become home to thousands of Daphnia. So my fish will be munching on those now too. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I feed Ocean Nutrition - 6 types, Ken's 7 types for flake food. For veggies I feed blanched peas, squash, cucumbers and Ocien Nutrition Algea sheets.

I feed all the fish and their various food at the same time. I feed 3 small flake potions and give it five min. between then live last. Night feeders get theirs when the lights go out.

Live food is a must I feed baby brine shrimp 2 x daily, micro worms mixed with shrimp and have Endler and Least Killies in tanks to supply live feeder fish. In summer, I use rubber made containers for mosquito larva. All fish that eat meat get live food2 x daily.

I use frozen shrimp and blood worms once or twice a week as a snack. I use freeze dried blood works, tubifex, krill and cyclops. I feed some of these twice a week as a snack.

I feed at least 2 x daily and up to 4 x if possible. Like I said before, I feed a small pinch wait, then repeat 2 more times. After 5 min. or so, I then feed a good portion of live food. My fish are healthy, not fat and very prolific.

Look at the first few ingredients and avoid grain products. Keep in mind, fish pick at everything all day every day. They need some inedibles to keep the pipes clean. I use a lot of different foods so my fish don't get bored. I've tried using specific foods and limiting types, but the fish thrrive better with variety.

Go as natural as possible. There are just some things that don't process well and fish still need them. If I had time I'd feed all live and natural food. In summer my fish go outside and they only get flake food 3-4 times a week. They remain fat and sassy. They also reproduce like crazy.

My fish typically eat all but pellets. Only my cichlids and crayfish eat pellets. The cichlids and crays eat flake and live food as well.

Hope this helps, my advice, use live food.

·
Registered
645 Posts

nls pellets and brine shrimp for bettas.home made gel food,duckweed,dandelion greens(seasonal) and bloodworms for goldfish.shrimp pellets and tetra veggie extreme algae wafers for shrimp tank.

no

earth worms for goldfish(left over fishing bait) spring through fall.

frozen-2-3x weekly

once a day for betta.2-3x weekly for shrimp.2x daily for goldfish.

omega 3

fillers,msg.

i just grow my organic algae in tank.

9. Flakes or pellets?

pellets

nls for pellets.san fransisco bay for frozen.mamas home made gel food for goldies.

~BluFish
Posted via Mobile Device
my pleasure~sandy

·
Registered
124 Posts
My mollies get blanched zucchini everyday then they either get frozen bloodworms or frozen brineshrimp. My knife livebearers get fruitflies ,flakes and frozen shrimp. Swordtails and platies only get the flake and occasionally frozen shrimp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts