Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a tropical freshwater fish tank (10 gallons) for the first time. Right now, I am trying to start the cycling process, and there are no fish in the tank. We will probably be getting some tetras. Anyway, unfortunately, I may have made a stupid mistake a few days ago...

To draw water out of the tank for some tests, I used a medicine dropper. In the past, the medicine dropper had been used a few times for Children's Advil, but (I thought) I cleaned it thoroughly with water (no soap). Anyway, an hour after doing the tests, there was a large amount of foam in the tank...

So, I did a complete water change, and everything looked good. But two days later, some foam started to appear again - not a lot, but it seemed to be increasing as the day went on. So, I did another water change, and rinsed all of the plants (fake) and decorations with dechlorinated water. There is a power pump as well as an under gravel filter (with air pump), which I did not remove/rinse, nor did I remove/rinse the gravel. The tank is being set up with a hydroponic garden up top (AquaSprouts) so I have been hoping to not have to completely dismantle/clean everything.

So, I guess my question is... if the foam starts to appear again, do you think I can let it run its course and hope it eventually goes away, or am I going to have to dismantle everything and rinse and rinse? I know with soap, it is important to get it all out of there. Children's Advil? I don't know if that is worse or better, but if there's any in there, it would be whatever invisible residue was left in a clean dropper that was thoroughly rinsed.

Children's Advil ingredients: Citric acid, disodium EDTA, FD&C blue No. 1, flavour, glycerin, microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 80, sodium benzoate, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, sodium citrate, sorbitol, sucrose, water, xanthan gum.

Thank you for any thoughts. (Clearly, I picked up a new/clean medicine dropper at the drug store for future tests.)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts