Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! So, Christmas just passed and my rents bought me a 12 gallon fluvial edge. It has been up for a good 2 weeks. Right now it is going through the cycling process and I've noticed that the water is getting kinda brownish and a small stench to it. I do have 3 pieces of drift wood in there and I'm thinking that is what is making the water kinda smelly and having a sorta brownish color. I can't stand it so i thought I ask for your opinions. Oh, one cool thing I changed about this aquarium is the lighting. Wasn't happy with the original lighting so I took it off and added a way better LED lighting. Ill post pics and put them on here after I get off from work :-D

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not sure about what the "stench" might be. The water can turn brownish for a short time with the driftwood, depending on what kind of wood it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is what my driftwood looks the closest to Brownmane. I have a feeling that is why it looks sorta brownish. I heard boiling the drift wood works pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hello and welcome.
sometimes aquariums get a garden pond kinda smell,but i wouldn't
call it a stench ?? the brown/ yellow colour to your water will be the wood,
some people don't mind it. me myself can't stand it…i will not hurt your fish,
and it will lessen with time,and water changes,you may do a water change
while doing the cycle,however do not touch the filter,as this is where your
bacteria colony are growing,like in the substrate and on decor/plants.
live plants help the tank,so if you have live ones it's a good thing,
also if you have any friends with an aquarium,ask them for a donation
from their filter,and you could be up and running sooner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello and welcome.
sometimes aquariums get a garden pond kinda smell,but i wouldn't
call it a stench ?? the brown/ yellow colour to your water will be the wood,
some people don't mind it. me myself can't stand it…i will not hurt your fish,
and it will lessen with time,and water changes,you may do a water change
while doing the cycle,however do not touch the filter,as this is where your
bacteria colony are growing,like in the substrate and on decor/plants.
live plants help the tank,so if you have live ones it's a good thing,
also if you have any friends with an aquarium,ask them for a donation
from their filter,and you could be up and running sooner.
Yes, that is the smell I am talking about. I guess I am not use to it because I have never had a freshwater aquarium since I was around 10 years old. I am use to saltwater aquariums but ever since I started dating my girlfriend two years ago, I couldn't afford the saltwater and her at the same time :p but I sure am glad to get back into it again but just dealing with freshwater for now. Thank you for your advise…You were a very big help. Have you ever boiled your drift wood?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here are some pics I promised you guys I would take. Sad to say I took these two beautiful Rams back to my local fish store which is only 5 min away from my house back because I totally forgot it is not right to cycle these fish. The good thing is that the owner is keeping them in a private tank in his office till my aquarium is done cycling in about another week or so. Oh, and that is the new lighting I put on.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
you're very welcome..i'm glad i could be of use :-D
wow the tanks Beautiful !!!!!!!! :-D
thank you for sharing the pictures.
well done on taking the rams back,i hope once everything is settled
you'll be able to bring them home.:-D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes, very much of use!
Yeah, I can't wait to get them back. I called today and he said he still has them and are not going anywhere. When I was picking them out I made sure one was a male and the other a female.
Thanks, I put some work into it and sorry for the photo being to the side. I don't understand why it did that. When I get those 2 rams back I don't know what else to put in it. Some small fish like neons or something. A small school of them would be fun to watch around the tank!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice pics. Your aquarium is going to be beautiful once the rams can move in.:-D
Thank you! Hey I have a quick question….have you ever heard of a website called germanbluerams.com

or yet, has anyone heard of this site and actually bought a mated pair from them?? I'm super curious

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hey :-D
i've not heard of it,however maybe someone else has,who'll hopefully
have some input.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The water has definitely been stained by the driftwood, a solution to that problem is to wash the driftwood before putting the, in the tank. The smell is a whole different problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The water has definitely been stained by the driftwood, a solution to that problem is to wash the driftwood before putting the, in the tank. The smell is a whole different problem.
I boiled it the other day and it has been out my aquarium for about a week and i love how much it has cleared up in there. I actually might just leave it out so I don't have to go back to tea water. The smell is actually gone when I took it out so I got two things knocked out at once. Have you ever heard of a site called germanbluerams. com?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thank you! Hey I have a quick question….have you ever heard of a website called germanbluerams.com

or yet, has anyone heard of this site and actually bought a mated pair from them?? I'm super curious
I only have some cories and lemon tetras in a 20 gallon, so I don't know anything about rams nor the mentioned website.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I boiled it the other day and it has been out my aquarium for about a week and i love how much it has cleared up in there. I actually might just leave it out so I don't have to go back to tea water. The smell is actually gone when I took it out so I got two things knocked out at once. Have you ever heard of a site called germanbluerams. com?
Um, no.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
102 Posts
I ordered a pair of german blue rams from that website. The seller can also be found on aquabid.com and has a good reputation on there. Unfortunately I live in Chicago and even tho I ordered them about 2 weeks ago the temperature here has been to cold for them to ship my rams. You can check aquabid for some of the feedback others have left tho.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered a pair of german blue rams from that website. The seller can also be found on aquabid.com and has a good reputation on there. Unfortunately I live in Chicago and even tho I ordered them about 2 weeks ago the temperature here has been to cold for them to ship my rams. You can check aquabid for some of the feedback others have left tho.
Yeah I was checking his site out last night. Oh yeah I can understand that. I ordered a pair as well so when I get them in this weds or thur Ill take pics of them in my aquarium and put them on here so you can see what they look like and stuff. Thanks! :wave:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello everybody!! So 3 weeks have passed and my tank is finally cycled!! :noteworthy: Some crazy things have happened over that time and I would like to share them with you. So the rams I bought then took back ended up fighting a lot at the fish store so I didn't want them anymore :-( so I bought a for sure pair off a GermanBlueRams . Com and when they got here weds they were dead :-:)-( What a big disappointment that was so I went to a very nice fish store today that is about 20 min away from me and picked me up 2 Blue German Rams but need your help on something. I'm pretty sure I got a male and female but what do you guys think? Also a week ago I picked up 6 small neon tetras. I got a really cool pic of them in a line, following each other and also got 4 cherry red shrimp. Don't see them very much but when I do I just love them. The Rams are about a little over an inch. I'm thinking the female is the less colorful one but don't know. Oh, I also put an updated picture of my aquarium! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
They say the female usually has a pinker belly so you could be right. Just my guess. I hope you got a refund from germanbluerams.com for the dead fish right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts