Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everybody,

I just recently got really into this hobby about a month and a half ago.. And the more I get into it, the more questions I have! :-D
So yesterday, I found a few molly fry swimming around in my tank! (I have 2 female balloon Mollies, so one of them must have been pregnant when I got her from the LFS).
That brought to my attention that for the future, I should probably have some hiding places for the little guys to take cover in, just in case I decide to buy a male!
Right now I have a few plants, but they are spaced out and very scrawny.
I have some peacock ferns, ribbons, some leafy plant that looks like it might be an anubias (I bought them a few weeks ago from Petsmart, didn't really know what I was looking for, just randomly bought some plants). I also bought a bag of bulbs, which have grown into some plant that just looks like really long vines and at the tip, there is a leaf that floats on the surface (thats where the fry were hiding.)

In some of the threads I have been reading, people refer to "Floating plants". I am curious as to what kind of plants these are? And if they are fairly simple to take care of?
I would really like to have some hiding spots for these little guys! If you have any suggestions on thick growing, fairly simple plants to grow in the gravel too that would be great :) Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to add a picture of my tank but when I just went to try, it looks like you need to copy a web link for it? Is there any way to just upload one from your computer..?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have cabomba purple and I just let it grow to the surface, my fish love it so much which is the only reason I haven't cut it down. My tank is dirt but I am confident that the plant is a huge weed and Will go nuts in most tanks.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Oh, just for a note, Peacock Fern and Ribbon plants (most likely Mondo Grass or Kyoto) are not aquatic plants so you'll have to take them out before they rot unfortunately.

But for floaters, I use Dwarf Water Lettuce, Red Root Floaters, occasionally Frog-bit, some other plants that aren't technically "floating" plants but can survive being floated are; water sprite, hornwort, cabomba, water wisteria, myrio mattogrosense.

But they're all fairly simple to take care of, they draw their nutrients from the water so using liquid fertilizers may be good for them if you don't have enough fish in the tank to provide natural nutrients. I use SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive for my liquid fertilizer :)

Other easy plants to grow in the gravel: Myrio Mattogrosense, Water Wisteria, Anacharis (prone to melting though so don't get discouraged if some dies!), Amazon Sword (needs root tabs, basically they're fertilizer squished into a disk to release to the plants's roots to feed them), Cabomba, Hornwort, Moneywort, Java Fern, Anubias, Water Sprite, Ludwigia Repens, Green Cryptocoryne

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, just for a note, Peacock Fern and Ribbon plants (most likely Mondo Grass or Kyoto) are not aquatic plants so you'll have to take them out before they rot unfortunately.

Well thank you for letting me know!!! You'd think the employees at Petsmart would have told me that when I was asking them questions about everything.. I'm beginning to realize that I think they just tell you what they think you want to hear!

Thank you for the suggestions also, I will remove those plants and look into these ones :)

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Well thank you for letting me know!!! You'd think the employees at Petsmart would have told me that when I was asking them questions about everything.. I'm beginning to realize that I think they just tell you what they think you want to hear!

Thank you for the suggestions also, I will remove those plants and look into these ones :)
Yeah, it happens all too often unfortunately. I find at etsmart the tubes are labeled better though and do say semi aquatic at least whereas.Petco tubes don't say a word about it.

Not all employees are actually educated in their field which is unfortunate. They just parrot the information the company tells them and they think its right but most of it is extremely general or not correct for beginners. We all learn by trial and error. The best thing you can do is to read here and ask as many questions as you need, we're usually very happy to help you out!

And just a shameless plug here, I sell plants....lol namely myrio mattogrosense, dwarf water lettuce, red root floaters and occasionally water sprite as well ;-)

·
Registered
381 Posts
My girlfriend worked aquatics at petco, and I had to teach her how to do the job...... Not petco.
The biggest problem they have is employees that have no idea whats going on selling fish. Those same people don't water plants or even feed the fish. These stores turn over employees pretty quickly so its hard to keep an infromed work force

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take all LFS advice with a grain of salt!

I am a very novice aquarist. I am now addicted! But my PetSmart and Petco often gave me conflicting advice. I was sold three Angelfish, a red tail shark, a BN pleco, and a shrimp that was orange. I told them it was a brand new tank, running for a week, and I had no clue. Whatever my son wanted to buy they sold him and said they would be fine. I have since learned none of these were hearty, easy fish for an uncycled novice tank. Angels make a lot of ammonia. We lost the shark by the next morning, and the shrimp 2 months later, gasping and dying angels a month after. I was doing weekly water changes of about 50% (way too much, but was doing what I was told by LFS). It took three more months to loose the three angels. Our only survivor was the BN pleco. I was taking water for testing to both Petco and pet smart and ran continually high ammonia, bout of low pH we fixed with natural seashells from our local environment, and at times a tank so cloudy we couldn't see a thing. No one could seem to help us. I kept asking "is our filter inadequate? What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this?". I got different answers everywhere I went and with every different person I talked too. Do bigger water changes every day (that gave my one remaining angel ich). I fixed that. Used Ammolock, used prime, added bacteria supplements bought a gravel vacuum, etc. etc. In the end, after hundreds of dollars, adding a second bio filter, live plants and new fish, I learned none of those people new the answers. I did my own extensive research, followed my own instincts, and learned to sift through all the sources available for tidbits of useful information. This site here has been most helpful of all the places I have tried. I now have a seemingly happy, healthy, large 37g community with 19 or 20 fish (and growing,we have new babies!). So after nearly giving up it has been worth it, in the end. So just keep plugging away. And do the very best you can for the living things you are caring for. I still mourn the beautiful fish we lost due to ignorance and I am sorry. But I am learning, and it was hard and took a lot of patience but it was great, in the end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts