Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my newest fish, a flame angel, is starting to act weird. He's been rubbing on things periodically, a little darty and shakes his head from time to time. I have not been able to see any spots or anything on his body, however I believe this behavior is abnormal. Also I'm not sure but it seems like there's some patches on his tail and pectoral fins. I haven't observed any rapid breathing and he is eating pellets and brine shrimp. To me it seems he could very well have either ich or velvet. I'm considering a freshwater dip and hyposalinity as treatment because I have read angels are sensitive to copper. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have been trying to be hands off because I don't want extra stress but there's just no way around it. He has something. Anyway, fresh dip, use baking soda to raise pH, match temp to tank water and then plop him right back in the tank or should I rinse him after the dip in salt water first? There's like 1500 different ways people do these things. I am hoping its just ich. I know the symptoms are similar. Specific gravity goes down to 1.009-1.010 for hypo over the course of a few hours?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also how long should I let salt water age before its safe for fish. I mixed up fresh new salt water to go in my qt tank. I figured it would be a good way to get as many free swimming parasites out as possible. Been mixed for a few hours now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I just wanted to re introduce myself as that idiot new aquarist that ignores everyone's advice and puts new fish into his dt. Had to take my rocks all apart to get him and then he got tangled in the. Lesson learned the hard way. In the qt now and he ate a piece of shrimp just minutes after I put him in there so at least he's still somewhat ok. Dip and hypo are going to have to wait a few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Welp, if you were planning on a FW dip, I wouldn't have put him tinot Hypo also. The dip would kill the parasite. And I also would have left him alone for awhile. See what happens, if he continued to eat he would have been fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I matched my quarantine tank to my display tank so aside from the catching and new environment everything is the same. So at this point you are saying it would be better to just leave him alone as long as he's eating?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see...my thought was preventing any more exposure to my other fish although most likely its too late with him having been in there three days.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One last thing...should my other fish really start coming down with ich when does it get to the point where action is required? And then is it a pull them all into quarantine deal to wait out the parasites in the display?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
281 Posts
One last thing...should my other fish really start coming down with ich when does it get to the point where action is required? And then is it a pull them all into quarantine deal to wait out the parasites in the display?
Posted via Mobile Device
Listen,if you only have fish and no coral or inverts you have the option of treating the hole tank for ich.2options. 1. You can medicate the hole tank and be fine but put stress on the fish more. 2. You can crank the heat. To 86 or so and leave it like that for a few months and rid ich like that with very less stress compaired to meds.either way you are gonna stress them out cause they are all xexposed now.don't add anymore fish or anything besides food and top offs of water.Gravel cleaning is highly recomended once a week on both options.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I have a handful of small corals plus crabs etc so display treatment is out. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the pointers. Does this stuff ever go away? Say my fish never coffee down with it does that mean its gone?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah I have a handful of small corals plus crabs etc so display treatment is out. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the pointers. Does this stuff ever go away? Say my fish never coffee down with it does that mean its gone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well since you have coral.crank the heat.heat prevents ich from breeding and will eventually kill it off After a few months.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What would be a safe temp to crank it to for some soft corals, macro algae, copepods, emerald crab, hermits and an assortment of snails? Will they all survive at a temp of 86?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 37 Posts