Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and trying to figure everything out. I got a 5 gallon tank for Christmas. I'm doing a fishless cycle. I've had the tank up and running for about 2 weeks now. I just tested the water yesterday. These are the results.

PH 7.6

Ammonia 0.50

Nitrate 5.0

Nitrite 2.0

Should I be putting any chemicals into the tank to reduce the ammonia, PH, Nitrate and Nitrite? Or do I just leave it alone and let it cycle on its own?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here is what you do, do a 50% water change. Make sure to dechlorinate before putting in tank. Wait 2-3 days and test it agin. If the reading have not dropped significantly, do a 25% water change and repeat the waiting process and test. Two or three particals should do it. Don't stir up the substrate or try to clean anything. The bacteria need time to invade. Once yur readings are down and you're ready t add fish, add a little carbon to the filter for about a week. It will help the bacteria handle the spike in readings. I suggest feeding very little the first week, say everyother day, in an amount consumed in 2 min. or less.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts