Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have my 26g tank set up heater , filter running with gravel and fake plants in place. Ready to start cycling after obtaining the API Master test kit. Problem finding Clear Ammonia. Went to local Dollar General and saw a gallon of ammonia labeled "Clear Ammonia" so purchased it. The ingredients listed are :Ammonium hydroxide and Surfactant. Somewhere I thought I read if you shake bottle and it foams don't use it. This does foam. So, what's your experts opinion? I have not found anything else anywhere close to home. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Tractor Supply had some in my area. All shaken liquid will have bubbles but if it foams like there is soap, don't use it. I've heard ACE Hardware carries it as well labeled as Janitorial Ammonia.

·
Reference Team
1,000 Posts
Flint's right. ACE Hardware Janitorial Strength ammonia is pure 10% ammonium hydroxide. Just what you want. Three bucks worth will last you and all your friends for the rest of your lives.

Dr Tim's Aquatics sells an overpriced 1-oz. bottle online.

·
Registered
12 Posts
make sure you shake the bottle first. if it foams its not what your looking for. if it does not foam thats the stuff you want.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Okay, I have my 26g tank set up heater , filter running with gravel and fake plants in place. Ready to start cycling after obtaining the API Master test kit. Problem finding Clear Ammonia. Went to local Dollar General and saw a gallon of ammonia labeled "Clear Ammonia" so purchased it. The ingredients listed are :Ammonium hydroxide and Surfactant. Somewhere I thought I read if you shake bottle and it foams don't use it. This does foam. So, what's your experts opinion? I have not found anything else anywhere close to home. Thanks for your help.
Don't use it. the key word was surfactant.

But then I'm not the one to ask anyway.

my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts