Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wanted to start a thread about fish stores to avoid and why. I first thought this would be a good idea because I was traveling and was having a hard time getting feedback on good places I could stop at, and ended up wasting a LOT of time at crappy fish stores.

Someone advised me to run it by you first because they said that stores have pressed charges for things like this in the past, but I don't really understand how they could. I thought that customer reviews were pretty legal, even if they are bad ones and long as it doesn't cross over into slander.

I don't really see the harm in saying "this is why I think this is a bad store" as long as reasonable and legitimate reasons are specified, etc.

What do you think? I don't want to do anything that will get me in trouble with the forum (although if I really thought a pet store was that abusive I would stand my ground even if they took legal action against me). If you decide it is inappropriate, you should go ahead and take down the thread, but I think it would be really helpful to our members so they can be informed about the practices of those who provide pets and pet services.

Thanks and have a fabulous day!

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
This is an area where we must tread carefully.

First, any member is obviously free to comment on this or that store in a post where this is related to the issue of the thread. Such comment is personal opinion.

At the opposite end, the forum itself must not be seen to be stating opinions "officially," if that makes sense. We have advertisers who pay to help keep this forum online, and we clearly have to be unbiased as a forum.

These are just my initial thoughts on your question; let's see what other moderators think.

Byron.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I agree with Byron.

I feel that maybe saying, "I had a bad experience in my hometown, Anywhere USA at a local pet shop" is better than "I hate Bob's Fish Store in Anywhere USA! He always sells me fish that develop die within days of being in my tank and I think he is illegally importing endangered species!"

I think that it is all semantics and that not actually mentioning stores by name would be the respectful thing to do. I feel that Byron is right and as a forum we do not want to be associated with the direct defamation of a "mom & pop" store, or even a bigger box store if they happen to be advertising here...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts