Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the fish in my 40 gal tank? Do I have too many? Could I add some bottom feeders?
I feel my tank is a bit boring with so many similar looking fish. Any ideas? It is newly planted also...thanks

1 dwarf blue gourami
6 rasbora
6 black tetra
4 glowlight tetra
4 white skirts
3 platys
1 balloon molly
1 swordfish

·
Registered
11 Posts
See AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor. It is a helpful tool when deciding how to stock a fish tank. Again, it is a TOOL, so it has its limits, but it is very helpful and will give you insights into how certain scenarios will affect the balance of your tank. It is handy to have your filter type/brand, tank size, etc. to more accurately get results.

You may already know this, but you'd want to keep in mind the maximum adult size of each fish to determine the appropriate stocking level of your tank. There are a few helpful rules of thumb regarding stocking levels, and you can utilize each to a point. The aforementioned website is helpful in utilizing these tools and information for you.

Also, I don't think your tank will be boring at all! My tank currently has many cherry barbs and a few black skirt tetras, and they are very fulfilling to watch and take care of. The fish you chose must not be boring to you, because you did pick them, after all. ;) I find that the level of excitement in a fish tank is in observing how the fish interact with each other. Sure, varying colors and sizes are flashy and cool, but so is any other fish!

Hope some of this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts