Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm owning up to my moron status right now. I was a sort of impulse buyer. My daughter has been asking for fish since she was 2 - she is now 7. She is going to have a major surgical procedure done in a couple of weeks and I wanted to fulfill one of her dreams.

We happened to pass the GloFish at Walmart :BIGshame: and fell in love. We bought some of the stuff but then realized we needed some chemicals as well. We hadn't yet picked up the fish. But I was worried we would miss out of the ones we wanted. A blue, purple, and red one. The blue and purple were only half colored but I didn't think anything of it.

When we were there getting the chemicals we noticed the blue one was gone, so we grabbed the purple and red ones and I picked an orange-ish yellow one to go with it.

They lived in one of my mixing bowls for a night. But I stayed up and watched over them most of the night.

Anyway. I am starting to get worried because they have each taken to a corner of our starter tank and won't leave their corners unless chanced away. They refuse to interact with each other at all. Today I noticed the purple one's color changing a bit. Disappearing. So I did some digging and it turns out it is probably a fruit tetra. Our red one might be as well, because you can kind of see silver starting to show through on it. And the orange-ish yellow one has a silver line through the center.

I'm not sure what these poor things are. I just want them to be happy. Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glofish are essentially engineered Zebra Danios.

Zebra Danios thrive in groups - and I'm sorry to say you've only a quartet.

From what I see, the tank is not really large enough for a group of Danios to thrive in. If you truly care for the stress levels of the fish, I'd suggest a much larger tank and a few more friends of the same breed.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
it's really sweet of you to have done that for your daughter. we all make mistakes sometimes and do impulse buys even i do it sometimes lol its good you tried to find a way to fix it. ide agree with rude about the fish needing more so they can school together and feel safe. these fish are like the tetras and other small fish. they like being in groups of not less then 6. your tank looks like a 1x1x1 thats about 10 gallons. if you have a filter that has a large enough flow rate you could get away with having 2 more fish in that tank but you will still need the weekly 20% water changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.