Tropical Fish Keeping banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Tested the Water today for ammonia using the API liquid drop test as before and it is some where between 0 and 0.25 ppm.. Based on the color it is more on the yellow spectrum and if I had to estimate id say 0-10 ppm. This tells me a water change is needed today.. How much of the water should I change though after I did a 50% water change last Wed?
0-10ppm.... I assume this is the nitrate reading? A good goal is to aim for 10ppm as the maximum as the lower the better for the fish. I aim for 5ppm b it it is very easy for me as my tank does not create enough nitrates to worry about, I've never measured over 5 yet and I have skipped a few WCs ,along the way.

Maybe just set your schedule changes and start now... 25% at least. I always think that once you get the change going, 25% or 50% is just a matter of a few more minutes draining or filling so why not go for 50% all the time?

Jeff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
0-10ppm.... I assume this is the nitrate reading? A good goal is to aim for 10ppm as the maximum as the lower the better for the fish. I aim for 5ppm b it it is very easy for me as my tank does not create enough nitrates to worry about, I've never measured over 5 yet and I have skipped a few WCs ,along the way.

Maybe just set your schedule changes and start now... 25% at least. I always think that once you get the change going, 25% or 50% is just a matter of a few more minutes draining or filling so why not go for 50% all the time?

Jeff.
That is correct. Good advice will schedule my changes at this point. Many thanks. I think the worst is behind me :) No fish deaths since last Wed when my ammonia levels were spiking (presumeably). Still going to wait another 5-7 days before I start buying more fish just to be absolutely sure my tank remains stable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Happy to report that I have 0 Nitrite and 0 Ammonia in my tank =D. Nitrate levels are withing appropriate levels and with my routine water changes should not be a problem.

No fish deaths as of 2 weeks when Sh*t started to hit the fan. Will be buying a few new fish soon and see how they do.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.