Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
would love a confirmation what kind of fish this is - was told neon rainbow - can't see that as possible with the fish.jpg pictures I have seen - any guesses?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
That is a Flying Fox or a Siamese Algae Eater. The scientific names escape me at the moment. The SAE isn't that common in the trade so more likely the FF. It all depends on the fin serreation, dorsal fin color, number of barbels, whether the black lateral line extends through the tail. Yours looks like what I keep in my tank, which the Flying Fox. HTH :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I as just looking at that and it kind of looks like that - I did drop part of an algae wafer down for my loaches and they had a blast with it! But- am I right it does not look like a rainbow fish? But- it has red in the tail and red in the nose - almost neon like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no - I don't think it's flying fox - the fins are shaped different. It was in a tank of all rainbow fish and sold as a kind of rainbow fish. But - thanks for the suggestion.....something else I think - could it be a kind of rainbow fish that is not common ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yeah- thought that too! I have been looking in my fish book - it the back fins are not quite right. The fins look like what the rainbow fish looked in the tank but the body seems different. And- bc the woman did not know exactly what it was - she threw in this tiny yellow baby fish for free - I think it's a yellow rainbow fish. wish I had a better shot of the red in the head/eyes

tomorrow I will try to take a better picture - active fish they are - they kind of shoal and kind of not....makes me wonder if they are rainbow fish at all!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

this is not my fish tank - but I found a picture of my fish - the ones with the bright red stripe in the middle and black stripe- I looked up all these names and they don't match this picture- but these are my new fish! help please! They have black and yellow on their back fins - anyone know what they are - I want to make sure I am giving them good water conditions!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fish identity part 2

Quantum - would not let me reply- thank you so very much! I had no idea - but I was thinking barb! Now I wonder if I should bring them back! I have 3 of them - one did not make it past 12 hours in my tank - and if they are going to be 6 inches- I don't think my 20 ga tank will do it!

it also says they can be aggressive - should I worry about that - I have peaceful fish - though - not worried about the loaches - I also have what are they called - the tiny "octo: algae eaters- I knew they were not rainbow fish!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guess that is what I get for going to petco! They were in a tank with rainbow fish - I will stick with rainbow fish which is what I was after anyway!
thanks very much for your help! Been making me crazy.

Hey - do you think that blue eyed fork fin rainbow fish can handle slightly acidic water ? Everything says that prefer alkaline my tank tends to be a bit acidic and I have read they don't live long...wondering what else to get:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have tried threadfin before - not so excited about them - but the other ones seem great - as my water tends to be acidic - as for soft - I think my water is medium - I don't think it is so hard. thanks! wonder how hard it is the find the first one you mention. will have to see...

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I have a school of them, funny that I couldn't recognize them from your first picture! They are not aggressive at all, probably the most mellow of all the fish I keep. My Flying Fox regularly will school with them. You did a great job of getting that second picture. I've never been able to get a picture of mine, they are such fast fish. One of my favorites. Too bad your tank isn't big enough, a school of them are so nice looking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that picture I found online - it's not my tank! They seem like fun fish. These don't seem aggressive - but they are small. Online it says they can be come aggressive if they are not in a substantial group. I only have 3 small ones. I bet as they get older they will get more daring.

I like them - but ultimately doesn't seem like they belong in my tank - back to the drawing board with getting more fish! I love all the bottom feeders - and so I try hard to like and be interested in the upper level fish - harder for me - and these fish go everywhere - that is one reason I like them - they are interesting - but I think they must go back! to bad:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts