Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Fish ID

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Tazman 
#1 ·
I bought eight of these from a local guy. There are 2 proven pairs within them...just not sure. Description: bright blue eyes, stripes like a convict but less of them, and they can be anywhere between dark brown to yellow in color. Stripes are more pronounce when lighter in color. What type of cichlid are they?

Sorry, couldnt get better pictures. These suckers are too quick and move around too much.

Sent from Petguide.com App

See less See more
#2 ·
They look like Africans to me - I can't ID Africans. There are a few people I have in mind that probably can.

#4 ·
I dont think they are african cichlids. I have been told they are RIO Cahals but I am not wuite sure how true that is.

#5 ·
Cryptoheros Chetumalensis sp. 'Rio Cahal' to be exact.

#6 ·
They are Cryptoheros Chetumalensis sp. 'Rio Cahal' am almost 99.9% sure.

I cant see very well from the pictures but if they have an orange hue on their dorsal fin then they are.

#7 ·
Yes they do. I thought so too, but something had me thinking differently, not sure why.

Sent from Petguide.com App

#8 ·
They do get confused with Africans sometimes and I have seen people mistakenly keep them with Africans. They look very similar to young africans but their head shape and blue eyes tend to give them away.

They have a very slight bump just above their eyes, not always visible but if you feel it gently you can see it is there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.