Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Fish going crazy after water change

57K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  keepsmiling 
#1 ·
I just did my first 20% water change on my 10 gallon tank, and when I was done, the fish started going crazy. They are rapidly swimming all around, going near the top, and one of them is shaking a bit while swimming. Is this normal?

#2 ·
I wouldn't call it normal per se but they could just be stressed out from the experience. Leave the lights off and leave them be for a while and see if they calm down.

#3 ·
Fish are often more active after a water change. Are your fish abnormally so? Can't tell - it's difficult to determine based on words because of differences in interpretation.

Could certainly be stress from the water change. No reason to not do them though - the fish will get used to it.

#5 ·
I'm noticing you saying your "first" 20% water change... which leads me to ask how did you do it? Water conditioner? Was the water too hot perhaps? To cold? Explain how you went about it. Also what kind of fish are they?
For an African cichlid all these behaviors would be normal after a water change... but for most other fish I don't think so.

#7 ·
You've gotten a lot of good advice in your threads. I'm certain at least a couple people told you to not make any purchases until you do your research, but you did the opposite. Fish keeping can be really easy and enjoyable, or it can be really hard and frustrating. If you are going to continue to make uninformed purchases, then you are going to continue on the hard road and will likely quit the hobby. I think you should draw upon the experience and wisdom of the forum if you want to succeed in the hobby. I hope you don't take this advice negatively, but I've been following your threads and that is my assessment of your situation.

Like I said, fish are usually most active righ after a water change. That could easily be considered abnormally active. Shimmying is not a good sign - hopefully just stress related. If it's stress it should subside.

The fish are fighting because you only have the 2. Both are group oriented fish and both should be in a larger tank ( if I recall correctly you have a 10 gallon).

#10 ·
Getting more..... Let's look at it this way. You live with a roommate in a cramped apartment, and so you get irritated with each other and start fighting. Inviting a bunch of people over will "solve" things in the short term, but ultimately those extra people are just going to exacerbate the problem because the cramped apartment is just that much smaller. Not only that but you would get irritated with your guests as well - it would be a very stressful situation for sure.

#12 ·
If you can't get a larger tank and you can't return them, then you can try putting in a divider.

#14 ·
Don't know if I've seen the results of water tests here. If you have a shop test your water write down the numbers, fine or good tells us nothing. Unless you're doing something crazy water changes shouldn't bother the fish, and from reading back I'm seeing nothing out of line. Increased activity after a water change is pretty normal.

Reactions: keepsmiling
#16 ·
They didnt have any more hi fins, so I got two green lantern platys so they can school together. They have been staying together, and the other fish really dont seem to care too much, but they are still getting used to the tank. I will post a follow up tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.