Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just set up a new guppy tank! I have only had my pet guppies for 2 weeks and one black guppy died, unusual but it could happen, on that same day the otocinclus died. I started getting really concerned and I thought it was an amonia spike so I removed all the fish except for the cherry shrimp and an african dwarf frog, a guppy I couldn't find and the other otocinclus that was to fast into a plastic container with freshwater. I couldn't find the last guppy who was super old, still can't find him so I think he died and dissloved or the other fish ate him or somthing, at least that fish was 3 years old and was probably near the end of his time anyway. Later on that night my elaphant ear guppy died in the other container (With freshwater in it so no problems there) I checked on the other fish this morning and they don't look so good, no signs of diesease need emergency help! I only have a few male guppies left I added a little more beifitail bacteria into the tank to supplement but i'm tettified everything is going to die please help emergency!
(by the way this is NOT actually 20 year fish expert this is her sister who just got into the hobby and is borrowing her account.)(My sister is away for the week so she can't help me.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for your loss. You need to learn about the nitrogen cycle before you add fish. Please watch this video, it will help you to learn about keeping fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ANOTHER EMERGENCY HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP! I DID do the nitrogin cycle and even added a litte extra benifitail bacteria as a booster! My other otcocinclus died and I found the dead body of the old guppy. I had treated the other fish with a very light salt bath that wouldn't harmt hem at all for 2 hours then gave them more fresh water. My oronge guppy died this morning. One of my fish has a shredded tail which is SUPER confusing! Another fish has a light green hue to it another cant swim to the surface and the last one is SUPER clear and pale ven though I fed them and they ate I only have 4 left and they might not last another minute! I only have 4 fish left, the african dwarf frog, and the cherry shrimp. I don't understand what's happening!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it out to late... They got fin rot. I noticed red specs at the end of there tails and fins and it must have spread. The fish the gave me from petco and pestmart must have been poor quality never ordering live fish online again... Next time i'm CHOOSING the fish from the store covid-19 or not. My cherry shrimp and african dwarf frog didn't get it because they aren't fish. My glofish surviving is a miracle and I already moved her into a quarintine tank. My guppies will probably be gone by the end of the nght... I will keep you updated so heartbroken. :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys here's the update on my tank... All 4 remaning guppies are dead. 2 I see that are dead and I don't see the other but I honestly don't feel like looking... :( My daughter is heartbroken because they were all SO healthy when they came but one of them came with fin rot and over 2 weeks in infected the whole tank and killed them all..... I called up my sister and she confirmed what happened. The glofish didn't die or get it which is the only good. The african dwarf frog, the mystery snail, and the cherry shrimp can't get it so they will be fine. I still did a half water changeyesterday night though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunately poor water quality will cause illness and death. Finrot is caused by bacteria forming in poor conditions and attacks fish’s fins.
I’m sorry to say this, but stores are your worst option, they have nothing but diseased tanks of which you can’t see and they won’t tell you about. Clean the tank out, put in some fish as a start, monitor all water parameters and do frequent water changes whenever ammonia and/or nitrite is above 0ppm.
You put a goldfish in with tropical fish?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts