Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys this is very weird but one of my fish disappeared today.
In my tank I have 6 neon tetras, 3 glowlight tetras and one ghost shrimp.
I was doing some before bed maintenance such as gathering loose plant leaves and counting the fish when I noticed one of my glowlights missing. I counted 20 times. I even had my fiance count to make sure I wasn't going insane. I searched the tank all over thinking he was hiding or maybe even dead in a corner somewhere. I even checked the filter even though there was no way he could fit through the intake. He is no where. My only other thought is maybe he jumped but I didn't find a body anywhere outside the tank.
Is it possible that the other tetras finished him off between feeding time this morning and bedtime?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Id say the ghost shrimp finished him off - shrimp are excellent scavengers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never seen a ghost shrimp eat that fast. There is literally no sign this fish ever existed. It's amazing.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yes the fish too may have eaten it. Or it’s still in the tank. Dead fish being carried around by the current can wind up in some hard to find places. Too, once that happens, a small fish like that breaks down pretty fast.

I’ve had fish “disappear” for months only to all of a sudden show up one day. Believe me I tore the tank apart looking and never found it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well hopefully it shows up or I have enough plants in there to absorb the ammonia spike when he starts breaking down.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Isn’t your tank cycled?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
However, I lost a Betta fish three years ago in a cycled tank when his Otto companion died and I didn't notice. The ammonia spiked and the Betta died. However there were no plants in that tank.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yeah the plants will help. I think a big difference between then and now is the bioload of the tank. With more fish in the tank, the ammonia produced by a decaying fish accounts for a smaller portion of the overall burden on the bacteria. A single betta doesn’t support a large enough bacteria colony to handle the decaying fish, it would seem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sure does seem that way. I've since stopped keeping Bettas. I seem to have the worse luck with them.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Bettas can be really hit or miss - gotta keep in mind how they are kept prior to purchase, which can really weaken them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. Mine always last a few weeks then poof. One day I wake up and they're dead. No discernable cause. Although one did die of cottonmouth that came in on a group of albino corydoras

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many years ago I experienced the same issue. Searching around the tank I discovered the body of the cory stuck inside a commercial tank ornament. Apparently when fish swim up into a blind passage they are unable to apply any reverse and died in the interior dead end passage. To solve this problem I carefully inspected all tank ornaments and filled all blind passages with poly fill or other inert material and secured it in place with some aquarium rated silicone sealer. So anytime I put any ornament into the tank including driftwood I carefully inspect for blind passageways and modify accordingly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts