Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just joined the site and had a quick question. i have a mollie, not sure what specific species, but it is black with a fan tail. it seems to be hovering around the heater, is this a problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have had him for about a week. the tank is a 55 gallon, started about three weeks ago, i have the one mollie and two danios, and about 6 or 7 small goldfish. i know the goldfish will get larger quick, so they will be transfored in the not to distant future. hope some of this helps, thanks for all replies.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
musho3210 said:
do you have salt in that tank? Livebearers require salt
They don't require salt unless they were adapted to salty conditions. Poecilia velifera probably will.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i never knew they need salt :shock: ....lucky i don't have them :lol: :BIGwinky:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
flatcam1 said:
i never knew they need salt :shock: ....lucky i don't have them :lol: :BIGwinky:
Cam, I posted previously they don't necessarily needed the salt unless they were adapted to salty conditions.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Matt your if your platies had salt, they would be much much much more happy. MAybe thats why she had dead babies. Mollies should have salt, they thrive better with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am starting to notice some white spots on the mollie, is this a problem?
i have heard of something called ick but i dont know what it is. need a little help here.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
this is probably ich, black mollies are prone to ich. They normally get ich when the water temperature is too cold. YOu should raise the temperature a few degrees. To treat ich, you will need may different ways to treat it since some ways work for some people, other ways dont. You will probably need to try every way until one of them works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we just added some salt, will that help? and what are some of the other ways to treat ich, drops, water change?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
water changes wont really help since the ich is on the gravel, ornaments and stuff, not free swimming around the water. You can buy medication at your fish store. May i ask what temperature that tank is, what salt your using, and how much salt you are using?

·
Registered
370 Posts
while livebearers dont REQUIRE salt per se they seem to do much better with some salt. the salt also helps out with ich and fungal diseases. mollies in fact can live in saltwater if they are slowly adjusted to it. you might not NEED the salt but it certainly won't hurt and the fish will most likely do better.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Thread moved here as it seems more focused on diseases and problems than just fish.

Do the treatment against ich for 2 weeks minimum.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts