Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any help is appreciated. I have had an established aquarium with one electric blue african ciclid for over a year. a few weeks ago i added another and things were going good so i bought another (orange african ciclid). it did not fair well against the others and was huddeling a lot. 2 days later my original blue and my new orange were found dead. the next day the new blue was also dead. today i was doing a water change and planning on getting 2 oscars and start over then i saw THEM! small brown/black worms were in the water moving and on the glass. about 6 or so were in the water change waste water bucket when i dumped it out. i tried to google these critters but not finding much luck. i have never fed live only ciclid flakes. i don't think they are planaria as they are not white. did these worms kill my fish? are they harmful or just coincidental? i'm including a photo. i have not done a water change in quite some time 6 mo. or so. I feel terrible. i'm sure this probably could of been avoided and don't want it happening again. i am scared to put any fish into my tank now. sorry about the rambling. i guess i am looking for any info. please help. thanks, JASON. Green Line Macro photography Plant Ceiling

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nuked the tank

hey all thanks for your input and i really thought about all that has been posted. here is my decision. NUKE THE TANK! i emptied all but about 5-7 gallons and removed all the worms possibe. next i poured straight bleach (about a cup) into said tank. the worms lasted about another day an a half than all motion seized. i waited another 4 days checking to see if anything reanimated. yesterday i did about 6 flushes with a gravel clean, pouring water about 7 gallons in at a time and then draining with a python cleaner. did a deep clean on all my ornamentals and plastic plants, changed the media for the filter. I have also decided against oscars due to the lack of space for them. instead i will go with a male betta for my centerpiece and add neons, and other docile tropicals. tank is up and running now, i plan on addding fish soon, just waiting for treatment to settle and temp to get right. thanks for all your help and i will post pics soon. --Vorian.:-D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts