Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm relatively new to aquariums and fishkeeping. I have an axolotl, but I've honestly not had a fish since grade school.

I bought a betta for my desk at work, and that lead to a second office betta, which lead to a home betta too.

I got my home betta a week ago, and by Sunday, I noticed he had spots. He matched every Google image for ich, and I immediately started treatment. As he was a baby betta, I lost him sometime Monday night.

My question is this: I have proceeded with the second ich treatment, however, it's a planted tank. I've read that I should just be able to rinse my plants in warm water and agitate them to remove any ich cysts. What is the best treatment for live plants?

Also, according to the ich treatment instructions, I am to perform a 25% water change 48 hours after the second treatment. I plan to completely empty the tank, and disinfect it with bleach. Is that effective on gravel as well?

I'd like to get this tank cycled and get something in it, but watching one fish die from ich was bad enough, and I'm feeling a little paranoid now.

Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm newer to the hobby as well. I would NOT use bleach what so ever. just rinse good with water.
I cycled my tank with 2 fish (Tiger Barbs - more aggressive but hardy), but I will not do that again, took me 7 weeks.

Maybe someone else can offer advice on the planted part, I have all fake stuff right now.

Sickness happens, so don't feel too paranoid on getting something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know sickness happens, but it just looked like a terrible way to go, especially when I tried so hard to fix it.

I've read that a 5-10% bleach solution is fine for the tank, gravel, décor, and filters, but I wouldn't risk my plants. As long as it's well rinsed and air dried it'll be okay. I just don't know anyone who's tried it before.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Cleaning the tank with bleach is ABSOLUTELY unnecessary.

Ich is the most common ailment you’ll face in the hobby, so it’s important that you learn how to treat it effectively. Good news is it’s also the easiest to treat....once you know how.

The easiest and most effective treatment for ich is heat - warm the water to at least 86 degrees and leave it there for 2 weeks time. You do not need to worry about water changes or cleanings during that time. After 2 weeks you can lower the temp back to normal. That’s really all there is to it, for 99% of cases.

Heat works by accelerating the parasites life cycle. Once they reach the free swimming stage, the warm water kills them. The fish will be free of spots long before the 2 week mark, but maintaining that heat for the duration makes sure that all the cysts have burst, which wipes them all out.

I personally assume every fish I buy is infected with Ich and treat them preemptively in quarantine before adding them to the show tank. I’ve not had an outbreak since, and I started doing that maybe 7-8 years ago.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I said you don’t have to worry about water changes during treatment, but that’s ONLY for a cycled tank. It is EXTREMELY difficult to treat fish for anything, in an uncycled tank, and it is not recommended. That’s pretty much a worst case scenario - sick fish in an uncycled tank - and should be avoided at all costs. So I would highly suggest getting the tank cycled prior to the introduction of fish, so that you are in a better position to take care of any problems that may arise. Too, many problems you’ll face are a result of poor water quality (uncycled tank) so just another example of why fish-in cycles are very, very taxing on both human and fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts