Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29G tank - planted lightly now, will be moderately planted by the time the stocking begins. I plan to add them in pairs by species over time except for the Hatchets.

2 Clown Killifish - not sure when but at some point I will get them :)
6-7 Marble Hatchets
2 Honey Dwarf Gouramis
2 Praecox Rainbows
6 Ghost Shrimp (can't seem to figure out if anything above will eat them)


This is in addition to the 10 Danios I have now that are cycling the tank with 2 Siamese Algae Eaters. Would this be too many fish? Could I add another pair of fish? If so I was thinking of 2 German Rams, but not sure if they would hurt or be aggressive to any of the other fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
Go with 4-6 praecox as you don't have that many mid level dwellers. Hatchets, gouramis and killifish stay mostly on the surface.:) None will eat your shrimps.:) If your tank is heavily-planted, you'll be surprised how many praecox rainbow fry will actually survive(without the shrimps of course).:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue said:
Go with 4-6 praecox as you don't have that many mid level dwellers. Hatchets, gouramis and killifish stay mostly on the surface.:) None will eat your shrimps.:) If your tank is heavily-planted, you'll be surprised how many praecox rainbow fry will actually survive(without the shrimps of course).:)
Cool, I like more fish :)

Do you think the Rams would fit in, I would plan on getting the German Blue Ram Papilochromis ramirezi and making a cave for them. Maybe just one male or maybe a m/f see if the pair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
ttiger72 said:
Cool, I like more fish :)

Do you think the Rams would fit in, I would plan on getting the German Blue Ram Papilochromis ramirezi and making a cave for them. Maybe just one male or maybe a m/f see if the pair.
You can have a choice of either only a male or a pair.:) A pair can be quite vicious when in spawning condition and may harass your shrimps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Blue! I think I will stick with a single male then, as long as it won't be detrimental to him or to the tank.

So my list is now comprised of the following

2 Clown Killifish
2 Dwarf Honey Gouramis
1 Male German Blue Ram
6 Praecox Rainbows
6-7 Hatchets (are they better in even or odd # groups?)
6 Ghost Shrimp

Would I need any additional algae eaters than the two Siamese I have now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
That's great.:) As long as the SAEs don't bicker with each other, both will be fine.:) As for the gourami, it's probably Honey Gourami(Colisa sota) rather than Dwarf Honey Gourami.

The number of hatchets in odds and evens will not matter.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
Sorry to rain on the parade here, but that is an awful lot of fish for that size of a tank... Even if heavily planted, you may run into problems with the danios and the hatchets over time, and waste levels are going to require A LOT of water changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bettababy said:
Sorry to rain on the parade here, but that is an awful lot of fish for that size of a tank... Even if heavily planted, you may run into problems with the danios and the hatchets over time, and waste levels are going to require A LOT of water changes.
Not raining on any parade. This is why I posted, I am new and trying to learn what's best. I would be perfectly happy not getting the hatchets if they would cause problems and/or be too much for the tank. Taking the Hatchets out do you think it would be stocked okay then? I plan on doing 25%PWC or more depending on my levels. Also, I plan to have moderate planting in this tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
Sometimes I need eye glasses just to notice 10 danios.:frustrated:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,248 Posts
ttiger72 said:
So what would your revised opinion be?
If only your budget permits another tank of 20 gallons.:thumbsup: I love a person who has MTS(Many Tank Syndrome).:smoke:

In this case, eliminate the cute hatchets.:sob:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blue said:
ttiger72 said:
So what would your revised opinion be?
If only your budget permits another tank of 20 gallons.:thumbsup: I love a person who has MTS(Many Tank Syndrome).:smoke:

In this case, eliminate the cute hatchets.:sob:
That may happen. My son got a 2.5G tank for his birthday, thinking of getting him a 10 for his bedroom and moving the danios into that tank for him :)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top