Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased an aquarium kit from Walmart. It is a 6.5 gallon semi hex aquarium. I plan to keep a male betta in it. I have read up on the nitrogen cycle, and I am prepared to fishless cycle my tank. However, I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I prepare my tank?
Before I put gravel in my tank, do I wash it under the tap, or should I use dechlorinated water? Does the same go for decorations? Do I wash my tank under the tap or in dechlorinated water before use?

2. What heater should I get?
The kit didn't come with a heater, so what heater do you reccomend I get?

3. Water changes: how often and how much?
How frequently should I do water changes? How much water should I replace? (After my tank has cycled of course).

Sorry for all the questions, I just want my fish to be happy! Thanks in advance!:-D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Okay first wash everything; the aquarium, filter, decor, gravel, ect. Just wash everything under the tap. Tetra makes a good submersible heater. But i forget the name of it. Water changes is all different. How do you plan on stocking it? I usually do 50-70% once or twice a week. But my tanks are heavily planted and heavily stocked. Plants will heLp with keeping all the bad stuff away.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay first wash everything; the aquarium, filter, decor, gravel, ect. Just wash everything under the tap. Tetra makes a good submersible heater. But i forget the name of it. Water changes is all different. How do you plan on stocking it? I usually do 50-70% once or twice a week. But my tanks are heavily planted and heavily stocked. Plants will heLp with keeping all the bad stuff away.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I only plan to stock it with a male bettta and maybe a couple shrimp.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well I always want people to plant their tanks. Cuz it is the MOST natural tank setup. But obviously you dont have to. Some plants you can get are java ferns, java moss, any anubis type, christmas tree moss, but tie them to driftwood or rocks. There is also water wisteria, anachris, and water sprite, which you can bury or float. Then there is frogbit and dwarf water lettuce, they are floating plants, that your betta will LOVE. It will actually love all these plants. They are all pretty impossible to kill. Just get some root tabs if you want some more growth.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I always want people to plant their tanks. Cuz it is the MOST natural tank setup. But obviously you dont have to. Some plants you can get are java ferns, java moss, any anubis type, christmas tree moss, but tie them to driftwood or rocks. There is also water wisteria, anachris, and water sprite, which you can bury or float. Then there is frogbit and dwarf water lettuce, they are floating plants, that your betta will LOVE. It will actually love all these plants. They are all pretty impossible to kill. Just get some root tabs if you want some more growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok, I may try some anacharis and frogbit.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ya, start with them and if you have success than get some more (if you want). Your betta and shrimp will love them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Reactions: TNVols11

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Is this tank LED or does it have light bulbs? That is a HUGE factor in whether or not you plant and in all honesty, the betta won't care one way or another if they are fake or live.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Lighting absolutely does matter. If you don't have enough lighting, algae will outgrow the plants and can essentially "strangle" them. I suggest waiting on plants if it's not something you aren't super interested in just yet. Especially in such a small tank, you are going to be trimming those stem plants almost daily to keep them under the water. With this being your first aquarium, I suggest you get the hang of things first and if you decide you want plants later, then we will help you. :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well the thing is frogbit and anachris will grow in that light. Plus having frogbit will outgrow the algae, and suck up all the nutrients before the algae can.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts