Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Are you sure its its mouth or a cut? What are you water parameters and what lights do you have? And are you supplimeneted elements for it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure it is a mouth or a cut that is why I posted the picture.

I have 1 150W metal halide
I have 2 power compacts 32W
I have 2 super atinics

I am supplementing the tank with Coral vita, iodine, and coral accel

the water parameters

temp 89 deg always runs high
PH 8.2
Nitrites 0
Alkalinity 300
Nitrates 30 ppm
ammonia 0

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
First need to get temp way down between 78-82. Thats to high for any coral. Its really hard to tell it could be a parasite is digging into it. I'll research more for you. I remember seeing it somewhere about that. Have to look it up again.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My best guess without more pics and or without seeing it. It may be splitting. This was a recent move and many soft corals will split after a stresor. This helps guarantee the survival of the species. By splitting during a stressful event it helps boost the numbers if one dies. Anemones do it all the time. Leathers are very very easy to frag and trade. Just cut em with a razor. Now if any of hte pieces look like they are melting and have actual necrosis, cut the death away with a sharp razor and then dip the coral in a Lugol's solution to prevent infection. Basically an iodine dip. About 10 drops of iodine in a half gallon of tank water. Soak the coral for about 3-5 minutes and then return to the main tank.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Every where I have read I said its a parasite. Most comman a flatworm. But I am still researching with the pic you gave me. Its hard to tell when your not looking at it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts