Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always just thought they got torn but now that 3 died.. I was wondering if there is any disease in my tank? Fm rot maybe? I have mostly guppies, and a few glofish with 3 African dwarf frogs and an Otto.

Ok I'm not sure if my pictures are there or not... It's not showing me..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
The pics are not there but if its fin rot usually you will see what looks like torn fins that have white edges around where the missing part of the tail. Best treatment is clean water. I would do numerous water changes during the week. You can add meds like Melafix to ad in the cure of it IF it is fin rot.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
How big is the tank? Do you siphon your substrate? Also if you don't and I am assuming you don't have a test kit. It comes in handy for these types of situation as then you know what the levels are. I would recommend buying one and do 50% water changes a week if not more if your tank is overstocked.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 20 gallon and a 29 gallon. My 29 has goldfish, so I see why there's ammonia but my 20 is mostly guppies. I have a gravel vaccum and it works great with the gravel in the 29 but I recently changed my 20 to sand. It is titanium moon sand and the vacuum doesn't seem to suck up the poop... But I'm working with that. I heard that anymore than 35% water change is dangerous. Also I don't have that much water, I'd have to go to the store a lot more to get more. I use spring water from water and ice.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I have a 20 gallon and a 29 gallon. My 29 has goldfish, so I see why there's ammonia but my 20 is mostly guppies. I have a gravel vaccum and it works great with the gravel in the 29 but I recently changed my 20 to sand. It is titanium moon sand and the vacuum doesn't seem to suck up the poop... But I'm working with that. I heard that anymore than 35% water change is dangerous. Also I don't have that much water, I'd have to go to the store a lot more to get more. I use spring water from water and ice.

There's nothing dangerous about changing water over any certain amount unless you water in the tank is really fowled. Then you need to do multiple small water changes over the course of a couple of days. If you keep it clean from the get go then larger water changes are fine. I do 50% water changes in all my tanks every week.

May I ask why spring water and not tap water??

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, sent on accident. Well I've always used spring water, it's what we drink. This way I don't have to mess with any conditioners and I feel it's safer. I've had fish for 5 years now so I think it's working :) and that way I can just have the jugs and all.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Spring water maybe too soft for Goldfish or Guppies for that matter also is this "fin rot" or damage in just the Guppy tank or in both tanks. I still say more water changes more water volume will help bring your tank(s) back to where they need to be and a test kit to monitor it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I've only noticed it on my guppies. All other fish seem fine. My goldfish have no damage to fins, how ever my ones that are usually orange are getting a few while scales, they are too old to be naturally changing color I'm sure, one is 5 and the other is 7.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts