Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed today when I was doing a water change but my one goldfish has several ripped fins... it's not the other goldfish because they are actually really friendly and it's not any of the decorations because they are not sharp or jagged anywhere. So after some research I thought it might be some sort of fin rot OR a fungal infection. I just want a second opinion before I start medicating the tank. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Hi there!
Those actually are nipped fins. It's common for indoor goldfish to do that, no matter how friendly they seem to be.
How big is the tank and how many goldfish?

They'll heal up on their own so don't worry about adding anything. Fin Rot is black or dark dark red that looks like burnt edges on paper, Fin Rot is also typically slow moving unlike fin bitting which can happen over an hour or overnight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tank is a 40 gallon tank with 6 fish in it. My only worry is the white streaks that are appearing on his fins as well

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Oh...that's a LOT of fish :-/
Goldfish are huge poopers and very messy. You should only have one goldfish per 20 gallons for Fancy's, one goldfish per 30 gallons if they're commons which it looks like yours are. There are a few options you can do, one includes rehoming a few of them which I know is not ideal since we all love our fish, the other is getting a larger tank. My best friend does goldfish and she has a 72 gallon with only 3 goldfish in it and it does well.

I realize this isn't the information you were looking for either so I do apologize for that but goldfish are very finicky. Too many fish and you can get problems with spacing and territory. Even goldfish can get aggressive and mean if they feel too cramped. They aren't as bad as Cichlids or Betta's but they can hurt each other. The white streaks are irritation from the bites. If it were décor rips, it would be a straight slit through the fin, not a little chunk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning on getting another 40 gallon and connecting them with a water bridge but thank you! I just wanted to be sire it wasn't ick or something nasty. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Neat idea! Can't wait to see it!!

Yeah, nothing too severe, just some fishy disputes lol. It's natural :)

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Fantastic! ^_^ Glad everything is working out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts