Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day all,

Very new to aquariums in general, have done quite a bit of reading but no real practical experience. We started with a 29 gallon aquarium and let it cycle for an appropriate amount of time. Water tests results came back good that is. My children picked out the starter fish. A peppered cory, a female pineapple sword, and a Glofish Danio. They went into the tank fine, no problems. A week later we re-homed a relatives Betta fish. That Betta's tank was dirty and ill maintained. Very poor water quality in general. Got it slightly better and added it to the 29 gallon tank. The first day went fine although the sword kept following the betta around very closely. Came home today to find a nipped spot on the tail end of the dorsal fin of the sword tail, where it meets the back. Have been watching for several hours since then and the Betta follows the Sword around but never really nips at her. For her part the sword doesnt seem to be trying to get away from the Betta.

I suppose I'm wondering if this is something to be worried about, and if so what in your opinions caused this and what the fix is. If necessary will get new/better tank gear for the Betta if she needs to go back to her own tank. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1 Betta fish in a quarantine tank. 1 Mystery Snail, 5 Adult Trapdoor Snails in 3 gal. In Description
156 Posts
Try putting a the betta fish into a large breeder box (Should be clear plastic) see if the betta fish still acts aggressive through the box and make your next decisions off of that. I recommend having at least 6 cory catfish because they can get lonely and die. Also, you should have at least 5 danios too. I would keep about 3 female swordtails.

·
Registered
1 Betta fish in a quarantine tank. 1 Mystery Snail, 5 Adult Trapdoor Snails in 3 gal. In Description
156 Posts
Sorry I couldn't reply I was on vacation for 10 days with no internet. Water quality IS important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts