Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2, 10 gallon tanks that are remarkable, and have many red cherry shrimp, fry, and scuds however im concerned that the power filter used on both tanks may be killing spawning. I put some mesh around the filter intake to keep small creatures from getting sucked inside but is there a better way of filtering the tank without hurting the animals?

also i have many plants in both tanks.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
how do they work? ive only known powerfilters. I have many many plants though.
They typically use an air pump that pumps air up through a venturi tube which [also] pulls water through a sponge. In function, this is not unlike the old school corner filter except it uses sponge instead of polyester fiber.
They can be useful, but have limitations and in most tanks the sponge will require cleaning every few days. They are relatively inexpensive and worth a try....but don't throw your current filter(s) away just yet. ;-)

·
Banned
766 Posts
how do they work? ive only known powerfilters. I have many many plants though.
Sponge filters are usually connected either to an air pump (the stuff used to power bubblers) or to a power head. They pull water through the sponge which is supposed to colonize good bacteria. It can also do a decent job on minor mechanical filtration.

I have a big one running in my 80 gallon. Rated for 125 gallons and running off an airpump. Works great for my tank, though it's well planted.
EDIT: Though honestly I don't see why either tank needs a filter to begin with. So long as you have something causes the top level of water to bounce (such as a well placed airstone on the right setting) and lots of healthy plants including floaters you shouldn't need power filters. It's just shrimp in there right?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
#2 Oxygen plus biofilter would work well.(google)
Can extend the adjustable return tube or lower it to control suface disturbance.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I agree, a sponge-type filter is sufficient on planted tanks that are small. I use this on my 10g, 20g, 29g, and on my 33g I have an internal motor-driven sponge filter. The others are connected to an air pump.

I happen to like the Hagen Elite sponges filters, but the Hydro are good too, and are (from what I can see from the data on Foster&Smith) identical to the ones 1077 mentioned.

Byron.

·
Registered
102 Posts
To cover my filters, i just use a sponge that I bought for $2.00 at petsmart and it works great.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
awesome thanks! so i buy these i assume?
There seems to be two different ideas in this thread. Kuddos has posted a link to the pre-filter sponge that goes over the filter intake to prevent small fish and debris from being pulled into the filter; this is intended for a canister, HOB, etc.

If you were asking about sponge filters as stand alone filters in small tanks, most fish stores carry one or more types. 1077 linked one type, there is also the very similar Hydro brand, and the Hagen Elite. All online suppliers carry one or more of these.

Byron.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have 2, 10 gallon tanks that are remarkable, and have many red cherry shrimp, fry, and scuds however im concerned that the power filter used on both tanks may be killing spawning. I put some mesh around the filter intake to keep small creatures from getting sucked inside but is there a better way of filtering the tank without hurting the animals?

also i have many plants in both tanks.

I would just turn the mechanical filters off and let the plants do the filtration.

but that' just me and my .02

·
Banned
766 Posts
I would just turn the mechanical filters off and let the plants do the filtration.

but that' just me and my .02
One of the few times I'm inclined to agree to some extent. 10 to 20 gallons can be run without an actual filter if you have enough plants and (in my view point and I don't care if you disagree, not getting into it here) do enough water changes.

*main point: If you run it like this I advocate doing some sort of a bubbler, or hooking up a powerhead to ensure water movement at the top. I've done a tank with just plants + heater and nothing else and the top ended up with a film. Only thing that lived there was a betta.

I've got a 10 gallon that has run since December with no actual filter. Just plants, heater, and a bubble that bounces the water up top to make it ripple. It has kept a double tail half moon betta alive and happy, and his finnage is in really great shape. The tank has also been a QT for loaches, and currently is divided as a temp measure. This is the only tank where my water wisteria grows without being slightly infested with algae. All the plants do very well.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have one of those prefilter sponges to protect my shrimp, but yea I gotta clean it every few days to keep the filter working.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
102 Posts
That filter sponge saved my red cherry shrimps lives from being sucked into the filter btw.:p

·
Registered
49 Posts
I made my own sponges. I took a sponges from my AC70 cut it in half and then cut an X shape at the top making sure the tube would go in far enough. Plus I had already bought the 3 pack of sponges for the filter. I have two AC70's on my 60 gallon so I used only one and i clean them out when I do my weekly water changes. They work great but the only down fall is they are really visible and boxy. I will grab those sponges when I need to but for right now these are working great and the best part is they don't look like they will be falling apart or tearing any time soon.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts