Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. new here!

Im just about to start up an aquarium again.

Ive kept my old 30 gallon tank but got rid of everything else to start fresh.

So now I'm planning everything from the bottom to the top.

I'm decided to build a planted aquarium with just basic plants e.g. Anubia, Java Moss, Java fern with sand as my substrate

Now I have tried researching filters but seem to be going round in circles!

Can you guys recommend a filtration system please?
*ideally I don't want an internal filter as they take up too much room and look nasty in a tank.
*ideally I don't want to spend over £50/60

Also, do i need the carbon filter as i will have plants in the tank?

any help much much appreciated! :smile2:
and any other recommendations on my setup lol

thanks,

stuart

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Hi Stewart and welcome

I'm a big fan of canister filters so that would be my suggestion. They make some smaller cheaper ones suitable for your tank size.
Here is an example - the 265 gph can easily be dialed back to whatever your tanks requirements are.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00892EN22/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482937225&sr=8-3&keywords=canister+filter&dpPl=1&dpID=31bstnVazaL&ref=plSrch

You do not need carbon in your tank, but some people think it improves their water clarity. And it very well may. I stopped using it a while ago when I ran out and didn't see and difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jaysee,

Thanks for your reply.

That canister filter looks good.

I've been researching most of the day and came across the Ehein classic canisters:
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-External-Canister-Filter-Gallons/dp/B002DZNM4G

Which one would be best do you recon? And why if you don't mind.

On the uk Amazon website, the sunsun filter that you recommended is £175.00!!? But the USA Amazon is just 40$ lol. Strange. Will just get it shipped if I go for it!

Thanks again,

Stuart

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
They all do the same thing, so I don't think one is really any better than another, all things being equal.

The "sun sun" filter I linked is sold under a variety of names, so look around for the best deal.

Something a little different - I don't have a traditional filter on my 90 gallon - I have a pumps that move water up into overhead grow trays, which then drops back down into the tank. You can grow vegetables, flowers and/or house plants out of it. I have an aquaponics thread in the advanced freshwater section showing my setup. Though, they would be competing with the aquatic plants if you did both.

Reactions: flchamp89

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wanted to let you know that I went for the Oase Filtosmart Termo. Spent way over my budget (£120 but got free sand) but think it will be worth it in the long run.
So far so good but it's early days. My LFS were raving about this filter and the company that makes them. They are new to aquariums but are apparently the top dogs for ponds.
Will keep you updated if I remember in a few months!

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Looks like a nice filter. I like that it can house your heater - that's a neat design.

Reactions: aussieJJDude
1 - 6 of 6 Posts