Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no experience with cut to fit at all. I was talking to the store Mar at my LFS and he said I should consider cut to fit instead if buying the expensive cartridges. So I went to see them and they had several kinds...one supposedly removed ammonia, another removed nitrates, a couple others did other stuff. My question is of the 5 or so types they had is there a specific kind or type that's best or is it just a preference thing?

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Personally I just use the regular filter floss and cut it to size for my canister filter and even my smaller filters. Good maintenance and bio-media like ceramic rings and stars will take care of ammonia and nitrate levels (depending on your filter)

Something like this:

Big Al's Filter Floss - 10 sq ft

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What kind of filter are you using? I have the Marineland Biowheel HOB filters that I cut the media to fit. I have the plastic refillable cartridges to hold my carbon, but I buy the blue and white floss and cut it to fit in there. I have been debating buying the cut to fit polishing filter sheets for my canister filters, but they really aren't that expensive to buy pre-cut, and I don't have to do anything other than drop them in when I clean the media in the filter.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
What kind of filter are you using? I have the Marineland Biowheel HOB filters that I cut the media to fit. I have the plastic refillable cartridges to hold my carbon, but I buy the blue and white floss and cut it to fit in there. I have been debating buying the cut to fit polishing filter sheets for my canister filters, but they really aren't that expensive to buy pre-cut, and I don't have to do anything other than drop them in when I clean the media in the filter.

I still use the poly for all filters (Rena XP-3 canister, Aqueon bowfronts, Marineland biowheels) but that's because I'm limited to good fish supply places locally. There's only one in my area and they may or may not have what I need at any given time. And they're pricey to boot.

In the canister filter, I only use it as the top layer in the top basket. The coarse sponges in the bottom basket are still in great shape going on 5 years. I wouldn't use the poly to replace those.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So you replaced the super fine polishing pad with just the poly?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts