Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 20 gallon planted tank, it's current filter is a HOB and I just put in floss instead of carbon. I fill the water up higher to keep the flow from disturbing the plants. I mostly have bottle dwellers living in it, sand substrate, Cory cats, AFD's , mystery snail, otto, and my swimmers are a platty (going to add 2 more when I get the 30 gallon goldfish to a pond) and a molly(who will be moving to the 30)

I was thinking a canister filter? Mine worked for a long time, but it's making horrible noises now and just it's so efficient, plus it's the one that came with the tank. Any recommendations?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Tom rapids mini canister.

Reactions: rexpepper651

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I have it on my 10 - too strong as it was so I drilled a bunch of holes in the spraybar. I like it a lot for what it is. Could be designed a little better, but I like that the motor is on top. Sunsun makes a mini canister as well. I really like their full size ones but on the minis the motor is on the bottom, which can cause problems with sand tanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have it on my 10 - too strong as it was so I drilled a bunch of holes in the spraybar. I like it a lot for what it is. Could be designed a little better, but I like that the motor is on top. Sunsun makes a mini canister as well. I really like their full size ones but on the minis the motor is on the bottom, which can cause problems with sand tanks.
Is a mini canister just a small canister? And if it makes a difference I have titanium moon sand, which is pretty heavy. :)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I think it's totally worth it. If not, I'd go with an AC50.

Reactions: rsskylight04

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
for a 20 gallon, $30. No more than $50

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
You could even go cheaper than $30. I think that's how much the AC and mini canister cost.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sponge filters are good for biofiltration, once they mature,not so good for water circulation.

·
Registered
156 Posts
For my 20 gallon planted tank, it's current filter is a HOB and I just put in floss instead of carbon. I fill the water up higher to keep the flow from disturbing the plants. I mostly have bottle dwellers living in it, sand substrate, Cory cats, AFD's , mystery snail, otto, and my swimmers are a platty (going to add 2 more when I get the 30 gallon goldfish to a pond) and a molly(who will be moving to the 30)

I was thinking a canister filter? Mine worked for a long time, but it's making horrible noises now and just it's so efficient, plus it's the one that came with the tank. Any recommendations?

I would consider a sponge filter for your tank.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think water circulation is very important for oxygen content and exchange of co2. In a 20 gallon you might be ok with a large sponge filter. I like hob for that size tank. Maximum oxygen level is important to support good bacteria.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I agree, circulation is very important for proper filtration. HOBs aren't all that great with circulation. Better than sponge filters I suppose.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think water circulation is very important for oxygen content and exchange of co2. In a 20 gallon you might be ok with a large sponge filter. I like hob for that size tank. Maximum oxygen level is important to support good bacteria.
But the plants provide oxygen in either case, right? And with a power head the water gets sucked into it a little, I heard.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Power heads definitely improve circulation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts