Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got alot of hitchhikers on my new live rock and i have no idea what some are. I have some white vieny things with red tips, like really small feather dusters. I have what appears to be aptaisia. and some other things that look like really tall brown zoas.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have hit the nail on the head as far as I can see. The top pic might be some kind of mushroom. It is small, so it is hard to tell...
Well are the worms good or bad?
Meh, aptasia :smash:

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Well are the worms good or bad?
Meh, aptasia :smash:
Any filter feeders are good in my opinion. You may not be able to sastify their needs, but they mostly will survive in an aquarium setting. I have had the worms stick around for quite some time in different systems I have ran.

:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any filter feeders are good in my opinion. You may not be able to sastify their needs, but they mostly will survive in an aquarium setting. I have had the worms stick around for quite some time in different systems I have ran.

:)
Is killing aptasia really necessary? And how do i do it?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Is killing aptasia really necessary? And how do i do it?
It is a pest. It can multiply and soon be all over all your rock.

I have had the most luck with Peppermint shrimp. They have always devoured every last head of the stuff in my tanks.

I have tried squirting both lemon juice and boiling water in the mouths of these things, but it seems that I can never get every single head of the stuff. If you use lemon juice, make sure you squirt it directly in the mouth when it is open. Use like a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon full in a medicine syringe.

Others swear by Aiptasia X. I have never had luck with it, but mainly for the same reason I don't have luck with lemon juice. But I have heard a lot of success stories with Aiptasia X.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a pest. It can multiply and soon be all over all your rock.

I have had the most luck with Peppermint shrimp. They have always devoured every last head of the stuff in my tanks.

I have tried squirting both lemon juice and boiling water in the mouths of these things, but it seems that I can never get every single head of the stuff. If you use lemon juice, make sure you squirt it directly in the mouth when it is open. Use like a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon full in a medicine syringe.

Others swear by Aiptasia X. I have never had luck with it, but mainly for the same reason I don't have luck with lemon juice. But I have heard a lot of success stories with Aiptasia X.
Just talked to the lfs that sold the rock, they said if i bring in the rock they inject it for me. No cost :)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
someone told me to frag the aptasia... that its a high end aptasia ....

Are they calling it Aiptasia mutabalis? I think that Aiptasia mutabalis isn't as small of a specimen as its undesirable cousin...

I cannot tell from the pic, but I don't think I could be convinced it is mutabalis.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Are they calling it Aiptasia mutabalis? I think that Aiptasia mutabalis isn't as small of a specimen as its undesirable cousin...

I cannot tell from the pic, but I don't think I could be convinced it is mutabalis.
Idk, maybe they were joking I did some quick research on Aiptasia mutabalis, alot of the pics that came up look like whats in the tank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts