Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
And then if you start seeing nitrogen deficiency you need to purchase Flourish Nitrogen, then when you have potassium deficiency you need to purchase Flourish Potassium, etc. I like to have control over what I'm putting in my tank, and with dry ferts I can add the various components at concentrations and intervals for what works for me, not a "one-size-fits-all" (which it clearly isn't because you need their other supplemental solutions too) generic solution. I add the dry ferts directly to my tank, as much as a teaspoon at a time. So if they're recommending a teaspoon per 60g, I would have to add 1.5 tsp to my 90g. Nearly all of that is water, so how much nitrogen do you really think would be getting into the tank with that 1.5 tsp compared to a teaspoon of dry potassium nitrate? I would go through that entire bottle in weeks and probably still be deficient.

· Registered
170 Posts
Perhaps my situation is more unique than I think.
I would consider every planted tank to be a unique situation. Whether it be the tap water, types of plants, density of plants, substrate type, amount of fish, lighting, light schedule, CO2 dosing, etc., all of these may affect if dosing ferts is needed or not. The best anyone can do is watch the plants for deficiencies and adjust from there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.