Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,059 Posts
You're going high tech right? Are you looking for one of these to use in that tank or one of the others? If it's the high tech tank then I wouldn't use either, but use dry ferts instead.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
lol High tech is fun, but a lot more work. I was using dry ferts even low tech and am halfway considering stopping my CO2 for the time being. The date isn't right, but here was my tank when it was still low tech and with dry ferts dosed according to EI.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
wow lol, i would of assmued dry ferts would have been too much without additional co2. i still yet to try any "high light" plants yet but im having sucess with the medium light ones so far. what type of stem plant is that in the back right? looks like some type of ambulia? btw love the red plant, that lugudia?
In the back right is Rotala sp Bangladesh. Grows like a weed for me. The red plant is Rotala macranda. It's tricky but worked for me in medium light. I just had to top it and toss the bases every so often.

I'm with aokashi. I don't feel like paying for water. I don't mix solutions though, just measure it out and dump it in the tank.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
I used EI so no need to be super precise. I know some people get scales to measure things out when they make solutions. I bought smidgen measuring spoons to be able to measure 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 teaspoon. Not sure if they have those at Walmart, but wouldn't hurt to look.

I used fert calculator to give me the ppm I needed to dose. Then I used conversion caculator to convert the ppm to teaspoons and then did the math to get as close to that number as I could with my measuring spoons.

I have soft water so I use GH booster, if you have harder water you could use KH2PO4 instead. I also use KNO3, K2SO4, Plantex CM+B, and iron chelate.

This is just an example using my 29 gallon when it was low tech.
Monday-50% water change (important if you dose according to EI. You could use PPS Pro, but I prefer this way). 1 tablespoon GH booster, 9/32 KNO3, 1/32 K2SO4
Tuesday- 3/8 Plantex, 1/32 iron chelate (when/if you calculate iron chelate keep in mind the Plantex has iron. Probably has enough iron, I just used a tiny bit more for my red plants to no ill affect)
Wednesday-9/32 KNO3, 1/32 K2SO4
Thursday-3/8 Plantex, 1/32 iron chelate
Friday, Saturday, Sunday in low tech I added nothing. When I went high tech I just added an extra day of macros on Friday and micros on Saturday while still resting on Sunday.

If you're doing low light and not lots of fast growers you could probably get by with just dose macros one day and micros another and letting it go the rest of the week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.