Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,477 Posts
I agree with the dry fertilizers. I use them on all my tanks from high tech to low tech. They are far far cheaper then anything else. You can make a 500ml bottle of flourish for less then a dollar using dry fertilizers. Mixing dry fertilizers is very easy and even if you overdose you will not screw up your tank or harm your fish.

I also dry dose cuz like the rest of you I am lazy;-).

· Registered
2,477 Posts
Agreed! Also no way a bottle of flourish would last even a month for me. Everyone keeps tanks differently. I always push plant growth best I can and doing so requires considerable fertilizers and a good control over them. I have moved twice in the last two years and every time I do I have to rework my fertilizer dosing. I'm still having issues with most of my stem plants being unhappy. My last order of fertilizers came from greenleafaquariums.com it was 5 pounds of dry and will last me at least 3 years on roughly 120 gallons. Total cost was $37 for those fertilizers. My plants pay me back much more then that every year.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
EI dosing is "estimative" so precision isn't really part of the formula. If I remember correctly actually usually an overdose, but my tanks are so stuffed full of hungry plants I think I'm underdosing~ havent done a water change in forever. XD
Yes and no. EI does overdose but it also allows you to be precise. You don't have to dose EI values anyway. There are a number of ways to use dry fertilizers and all work. I use to live and keep my tanks in a location with 25ppm nitrate out of the tap. With dry fertilizers its easy enough to cut out dosing any more nitrogen to the tank, which you can't do with something like flourish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.