Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading so much my eyes are burning...lol. I've recenty (6 weeks ago) added plants to my low light 50 gal tank (set up for 6 years) and am pleased to be maintaining a 0 nitrate reading for the last 3 weeks. I have low light plants such as anubias, java fern and vals. What I am not sure of is what type (if any) of fertilizer I should add. So far the plants are doing well. No browning, yellowing or melting. I have added fertilizer tabs in the substrate...should I also be adding liquid...and which type?

Readings are PH 7.5 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0
Fish: 5 young Boesemani Rainbows
10 serpae tetras

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
java fern and anubias like to be attacted to rocks or driftwood you can also plant anubias in the substrate. aall the plants you have listed take in nutrients from the water column. they do not need root tabs. i use a liq fert by seachem. flourish. here is a link Amazon.com: Seachem Flourish 500ml: Pet Supplies this large bottle will last you a very long time. dose once or twice a week depending on how heavily planted your tank is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops...I also have some crypts...which is why I put the tabs in. :) I think my biggest concern was if I should be using a fertilizer with nitrogen as well... the reading I've done has left me somewhat confused about that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
ohh yeah crypts loooveeee root tabs and flourish in soil. they are heavy root feeders. yes it will raise nitrate levels but reg weekly water changes will keep them under control.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) That is my plan...but everytime I go to take a pic....I want the plants bigger...guess the whole idea of pics is to show progress.....silly me. Will do soon!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the floating plants you have? They look great! Is that "frogbit" or whatever it's called.... I've kind of wanted to get some floaters....but my light is so low I'm afraid it will block out too much light.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
what light set up are you running on your 50 gal? those floaters are dwarf water lettuce. i like them alot with the dangly roots. it takes over so fast tho. good to have if you have excess nutrients in the water tho.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm familiar with water lettuce....from my outdoor pond that I get to enjoy 4-5 months out of a year.... I certainly don't have the light for that. I was hoping nobody would ask about my lights because they are below...low...lol. I have the standard hood that came with the tank and have 1 48" florescent, 6500 k. ( I know...less than 1 WPG) My plants are showing new growth and I'm hoping if I stick with mostly anubias and crypts...I will have success. :) My nitrates are already at 0 so no excess nutrients here.

·
Registered
528 Posts
as long as your seeing new growth nothing wrong with your lighting. 6500k is what i have ien my tanks. low low tanks with sand is easy to take care of. if you dose your ferts twice a week it will be good to go. half the day after a qaTER change then a couple days later the othder half. tank looks very nice tho!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I've been reading so much my eyes are burning...lol. I've recenty (6 weeks ago) added plants to my low light 50 gal tank (set up for 6 years) and am pleased to be maintaining a 0 nitrate reading for the last 3 weeks. I have low light plants such as anubias, java fern and vals. What I am not sure of is what type (if any) of fertilizer I should add. So far the plants are doing well. No browning, yellowing or melting. I have added fertilizer tabs in the substrate...should I also be adding liquid...and which type?

Readings are PH 7.5 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0
Fish: 5 young Boesemani Rainbows
10 serpae tetras

Thanks for the help! :)

Sounds like you're doing just fine.

congrates

1 - 15 of 15 Posts