Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched out my substrate for Flourite Dark. I was dosing 1-2 weekly with FlourinMulti. Should I continue this or should I use a liquid fertilizer like Seachem Flourish and/or Excel? Thought would be helpful. I put root tabs in with the old substrate and had a lot of algae grow. Maybe I put too many. I have a 50 gallon tank. I wouldn't be opposed to root tabs but I don't want another algae outbreak. How many root tabs would be needed in a 50 gallon tank?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Is brightwell aquatics florinmulti what you are using? If soo it is just as good as Flourish Comprehensive. So I see no reason to switch brands. What type of root tabs were you using? From my experience with using too many flourish tabs in my 29 it does seem to cause an algae bloom especially around the substrate and on the glass. Since I have changed the substrate out in that tank used less tabs I haven't seen that algae come back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is Brightwell Aquatics FlourinMulti. I was using Seachem Root Tabs. Do you think both would be too much?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
What plants do you have in your tank? Some plants don't need root tabs such as stems, Anubias, Java ferns, or Java moss (any moss really).

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Can you do a full tank shot?

All the plants in those pics minus one will benefit from root tabs but they all look to be doing good. Usually you want to place a root tab about an inch or two from the base of the plant. If there are two plants close together you can place a root tab between the two plants. The instructions for seachems root tabs is to place a tab every 4-6 inches radius. Ten gallon tank should have 6. Yeah I wouldn't use that many.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help. Do you think maybe 2 root tabs (in the center toward the left and right sides) Would be enough? I 6 Flourish Tabs left out of the 10. I put the 4 in and....BOOM!...algae.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
4 should have not caused an algae bloom. Are they still in there btw? Guessing not.
How old is this setup?
Those lights are they T5HO?
How long are they are for?
Do you dose Co2?
You just dose the brightwell right?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4 should have not caused an algae bloom. Are they still in there btw? Guessing not.
How old is this setup?
Those lights are they T5HO?
How long are they are for?
Do you dose Co2?
You just dose the brightwell right?

No more root tabs.
Setup since beginning of February.
I bought the lights specifically for plants so I am pretty sure they are T5HO.
On a timer for 9 hours on.
No Co2.
Only Brightwell.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
What sort of algae problems were you having? I'm not seeing any in the pictures.

I'm more inclined to blame the lighting if you have T5HOs than the root tabs. Does the light say what brand it is on it anywhere?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You think 9 hours is too long? The algae I had was little specks of bright green on the glass. It also grew dark green on the plants.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
An Aquaticlife fixture is good quality. My best guess is that with the light where it is and the height of the tank that you're at high medium to high light. Without CO2 I'm honestly surprised you didn't have more algae. How bad was it? Because I honestly am not seeing a horrible outbreak of algae in your pictures. Either it wasn't ever bad or you did a really good job cleaning.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a piece of Mopani wood that was covered in dark green algae. Algae wasn't real bad because I cleaned it up. There was a point where there was a green film on the glass. I turned the filter off, scraped the algae, let it settle to the bottom and then vacuumed it out. I've since changed the substrate to what you see now but I hate algae and will do what I need to to get rid of it. I am very careful about dosing tap water conditioner during water changes. I took the Mopani wood out and have seen some growth but not as quickly as with.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do have 4 Otocinclus which helps keep it under control. They are pretty voracious eaters but at the height they did no damage to the growth.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I honestly think you'd be fine with using four root tabs in a tank that size. Someone on here can correct me if I'm wrong. You do have a lot of root feeders.

What was your substrate before? Flourite dose have a decent cation exchange rate so if the cause was ferts leaching into the water column that might not be a problem any longer.

If you have an algae outbreak again there is the option of adding a few floating plants. They are really good at sucking up excess nutrients.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts