Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 2 orange and black platys, and I just assumed they were same sex. But this one has been fat for awhile now. I assumed she would have babies already. The other was sick and died, one of the other fish bit his fins off after he passed. And it wasn't clear whether he was a he or she. So is she preg or fat do you think?
IMG_20200420_155645.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can tell you that it is female. From the photo, it does look like she has a gravid spot(black area by the anal fin) this would indicate that she is pregnant. How long has she looked like that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant honestly tell you. I have 4 kids here at home and we take turns feeding but it seems to have been more than a month... Is this a situation where she needs a certain temp or safe location for birth? Or is it possible she is just egg bound? She is active, and doesn't seem to have issues eating. There is 1 diff fish that seems to chase only her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would get a breeding basket to separate her from the other fish this will prevent her from getting chased too much. You can shine a light behind her to see if there are any babies in her stomach. If not, she could be a balloon belly platy, they have fat bodies, or she could be just on the chubby side. I had two female platies one was skinny, the other fat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the best I can do to show you, the flash seems to reflect off her scales and I don't know what I'm looking for when I have a light on her. I promise I was gentle with her and didnt stress her too much.
IMG_20200424_134441.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts