Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, she kind of has red spots on her. They don't look like normal colorations and look like a internal wound or something. Could anyone help tell me what this red blotch is?

I bought her tonight and put her in the 10 gallon tank I am starting for my fry. Hope a few fish will help with the cycle. It shouldn't take too long I would assume since I used a lot of the water from my other tank as well as some gravel. I will move them into my 44 gallon tank when I decide to move the babies... idk if the female guppy is big enough to safely put her in with my angels... so I will figure something out for her. my 29 gallon tank is pretty full... but maybe when I get the baby fish outta there.....

And if your like me you probably like pictures so here's some of the other 2 fish I got. :p

I hope my guppy is alright! Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The female guppy looks really red in the spot where her babies normally would be. =[ Is this something that could make her sterile? If a guppy can't have babies for some reason is there a way to tell? Do you guys think she'll be alrighttt? D: The other 2 fish and ghost shrimp seem happy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
To me it looks normal, and the red just looks like coloring. My female guppies all have a little bit of a red gravid spot area. She looks almost as if she just gave birth or if she is about to. ?
She acts normal, right?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me it looks normal, and the red just looks like coloring. My female guppies all have a little bit of a red gravid spot area. She looks almost as if she just gave birth or if she is about to. ?
She acts normal, right?
Sadly, she passed away last night. The red just looked like a bruise of some sort but probably was just coloring. She hadn't gave birth and she did not look large enough to be giving birth anytime soon. I think she must have just been stressed from all the changes (factory to store to my aquarium), but I'm not sure why. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
red spots on female guppies

My guppies are getting these red spots and they all die.....I was told it might be a bacterial infection. Anyone got any other ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
red spots on female guppies

My guppies are getting these red spots and they all die.....I was told it might be a bacterial infection. Anyone got any other ideas?
ive lost a couple of younger guppys to this recently, (i think it might be red spot disease, which is a fungal infection endemic to Asia and pacific) a lot of american sites also attribute it to ammonia poisoning but my ammonia is never high , [even when fish die my ph barely moves since 1/2 my inhabitants are bottom feeders or snails] {watched them eat a guppy in 2 hrs yesterday}
ive had ok luck with treating with salt(0.5-1%) and tea tree/cajubut oil (melakit ext)
i definitely have never experienced the 50% mortality rate they talk about

1 - 7 of 7 Posts