Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
Med student here with a small tank and six little animals in my care (3x neon tetras, 2x glofish tetras, 1x albino cory and 1x african dwarf frog in a planted 10g tank. I'm changing 40-50% water every other week, and all are growing/eating well, but we're going on a month-long clinical rotation, and unsure whether it's best to relocate the whole tank for a month with the obvious risks of taking a tank and fish on a five hour drive, or go through the trouble of a tanksitter in a town we aren't that familiar with. I'm changing the filter now, and a 100% water change the day before we leave, any strategies for depot-feeding or conservative management here to minimize the work req'd by a sitter, or strategies for up-and-moving a whole setup like this with minimal stress? Any ideas are appreciated!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
A 10 gallon tank is pretty easy to move - I would just take it with me. All you need to do is get yourself a 5 gallon bucket with a lid for the fish. Drain all the water from the tank into the bucket and put your fish in there - the more water in the bucket the less sloshing will occur. Then put your filter media in a bag/container with tank water so it doesn’t dry out in transit. When you get there set up the tank and add the water and fish back. You’ll need to add several gallons of new water to top off the tank - just do it slowly over a couple hours and the fish will acclimate just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 2 of 2 Posts