Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive looked through the pictures section and have seen many plecos eating cut up cucumbers. can you do this with any store bought cucumber or do they have to be from a fresh garden or farmers market?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Make sure the cucumbers are free from pesticides and other chemicals. Blanch them and pin them with efork, spoon or lead weights.:)

Thread moved to Catfish section by the way.:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
blueblue48 said:
how do you "blanch" a cucumber?
Just place it in boiling water to soften it up.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
blueblue48 said:
oh ok. i have a very small pleco, maybe 3 or 4 inches? hes a baby. how much of a cucumber should i give him if i decide to?
One slice is all you need. Remove it afterwards(24 hours).

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok cool, because right now i sometimes feed him half of those little algea discs and i want to switch it up a bit.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yep that should work. I throw in 2 slices of cucumber so my bristlenose and common plec dont fight over it. They always eat it right up within a couple days. I dont ever blanch mine I just set it in there and then they just go at it ti'll its gone...:D

Nick

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't blanch cukes, they get too soft even without blanching.

·
Registered
763 Posts
the only thing id have to say about giving them potato is they will spew white all over the tank and it seems to make them a bit fat

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I use zucchini for that same reaosn, cukes are way too soft and too messy. I also used plain potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, green beans and pretty much any other veggie that would hit the bottom or would stay together and not mess the tank up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts