Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere, here I think, Someone mentioned that they could half sink a cube of tubifex worms into the gravel for their bottom feedersm, and that they seemed really to like it. Now, I think the idea was to use frozen, but I have the freeze dried cubes, and I soaked one and put it just under the gravel, and now, after 2 months of seeing maybe one, maybe once in a while, four of my 5 kuhlis are out doing the happy dance around the shady side of the tank.

It's been a while since I have gotten an good look at them, and they are fat and happy. (If I can find my camera, I'll try to post pix.) I'm letting some mulm build up under my wisteria, and am hoping for a spawning. (Not counting on it, but wouldn't it be awesome?)

(The fact that I also did a 40% water change in favor of adding Flourish Excelt to try and deal with a BBA outbreak may have had something to do with it as well.)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have 2 Kuhli Loache's and they eat everything i put in the tank right in front of me, but sometime's they do get a little scared. My friend has tried some freeze dried Tubifex worm's and he said that his fish didn't like them.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
:shock2: It seems the bandwagon of kuhli keepers is fattening up too.:wink2:
Kate already owns 4 and I own 10.:crazy: :bluelaugh:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always loved these little guys, since I first saw them in the Fish store I'd hang out in while mom shopped for clothes, thirty years ago.

Here's my tribe, wrapped up around the air hose after an afternoon's cavort.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
:shock2: :shock2:
Pretty nice.:thumbsup: My kuhlis are quite elusive so no chance of getting good pics.:blueworry:

tophat665 said:
It's been a while since I have gotten an good look at them, and they are fat and happy. (If I can find my camera, I'll try to post pix.) I'm letting some mulm build up under my wisteria, and am hoping for a spawning. (Not counting on it, but wouldn't it be awesome?)
Spawning is usually rare but you'll be lucky if they spawned.:thumbsup: I'm expecting mine to spawn anytime if possible.:crazy:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Excellent pic! I got myself 4 kuhlies yesterday after months of searching. They're fascinating to watch :D

·
Registered
13,248 Posts

I'd love to know who among the other members also have kuhlis.

Members with kuhli loaches, Tophat, Kate and I welcome you to our Kuhli Bandwagon.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee, thanks guys. I feel priviledged. I'd like to start by thanking the academy, and my agent, and my parents.....

Honestly, warm fuzzies. :D

All we need to do is convince just a few more people, and we will have reached a tipping point toward total Kuhli Domination of the World!!! *Evil Laugh* :devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Lol...tophat, did you know kuhlis are "small but terrible"?

They're the greatest loaches I've ever gotten. Unlike the other loaches who are too cheap to even see plants as decors. They love eating my plants.:blink:

All we need is influence.:devil:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I love my little guys - they have totally exceeded my expectations.

When I put them in the tank yesterday, I didn't expect to see them for a long time. There are plenty of hiding places for them, but they've been out playing all morning, dashing back and forward across the front of the tank.

What's their preferred foods in your experience? I put some sinking granules in last night and they got wired into those, but do they eat algae wafers or veg at all?

They look too small to be able to cope with bloodworm.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hi Kate,

They will eat bloodworms.:wink2: Mine chomp them in a slow manner because their mouths can't stuff too much BWs but they will manage. :)
Other than that, they will eat small bits of sinking food.:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
i hardly see my kuhli loaches. lol i dont know what they eat..... i saw themeating my sinking wafers. but they lik eto hide like 24/7

·
Registered
87 Posts
What do they look like as juveniles? My lfs has what they're calling kuhlis, but they are solid brownish, without yellow stripes. Is what they have a different species, or do the yellow stripes show up later?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jasyn, what you probably have is a black or chocolate kuhli. There are 15 species of genus Pangio listed in the Loaches.com species index. They're all recognizably kuhli loaches, and there are three that are only commonly known as kuhli loaches, Pangio kuhli, P. cuneovirgata, and P. malayana. My kuhlis are, in fact, P. myersi, Giant kuhlis. Yours is probably P. oblongata, though if it's a textured rather than solid brown it may be P. piperata. They all have pretty much the same requirements, though.

Lot's of kuhlis do change patterns as they get older, but this isn't one of them. They stay brown.

·
Registered
455 Posts
i miss my khuli loach i had 4 in my dads tank, they used to swim up and down the front of the glass at night. they are really fun fish and i really enjoyed watching them

tophat..yours look really happy and healthy, well done good job :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Lovely kuhli's.

i would love to get them :D but i have no room :(

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I've lost two to ich and mishap. Drat, nuts, and fiddlesticks to that. I've noticed that mine are bigger than I expected them to get, and their dark bars are much thicker than I recall from my youthful kuhli keeping. I think I may actually have gotten Pangio myersi - Giant Kuhlis - which grow to an astoundingly colossal...

... Four inches.

I'd like to get them some more company, but I have no idea when I'll be able to find this species again. :(

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
They certainly have very striking markings on them. Good luck with finding them, I've never seen them for sale before - but if I did I would definitely get some.

Four inches! :shock2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts