Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few fancy goldfish, mass is orandas and 1 ryukin, 1 very small black moore and 1 fan tail and 1 telescope .
I recently had to remove them all from my pond, relative put several crayfish in it and they strategically attacked the fancy goldfish, almost lost one. now all the orandas have ragged but healing tails, that was 3-4 months ago. I have been forced to temporarily keep them in a 50 gal. I have had to high power filters that worked well till recently. same relative made 2 diy filters with padding,lava rock, other filter media including activated carbon bags. he says it can filter 200 gal well, he set up two of them. this same relative started the pond roughly 30 years ago, originally koi pond. he set up his own filtration system that is great for keeping the pond healthy. but this week I lost 3 orandas to a ammonia spike in the 50 gal aquarium. this with the whisper filter and heavy duty filter. I know there is a way to keep more fish in a aquarium than normal. how can I do this? I in the process of setting up two 90 gal aquariums and splitting the fancies into two smaller groups in the two tanks. also is there a for sure way to get rid of ick? I have a new oranda I got in a quarantine tank, fine first week, this week entirely covered in ick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my oranda's ick got worse ...tried the aquarium salt method first,then "tetra safeguard tablets" then the "super ick cure" chemical treatment. is there something that works well to get rid of ick?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Once it gets bad enough the treatments become a risk to the fish.....but if the fish doesn’t recover it’s going to die anyway, so that’s just a chance you have to take.

In my experience the best method to cure ich is with heat - turn the temp up to at least 86 and leave it there for 2 weeks. No salt, no water changes, no gravel vacs, minimal feedings. That’s it. Make sure there’s plenty of water disturbance from the filter (lower the water a little so there’s some splashing). If you don’t hear any water noise from the tank then the water is too high. I’ve use this on several goldfish and while they are “cold water” fish, they are able to withstand the heat just fine. Gold fish in fish ponds regularly see temps in the mid to high 80s in the summer.

Do a big water change first to clear all the salt and meds.

Don’t get zucked! Stand up to censorship! Someone else’s voice silenced today, yours tomorrow.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so I tried a quick sat bath with the oranda with bad ick, it seems to have worked! but this morning I checked on the others this morning while feeding them, I noticed that my large female oranda was floating upside down at the surface but alive and well other wise. is this a bouyonce issue? from what I found it said to not feed the fish for 3 days then give peas to fix the problem. is this the case?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
That’s a swim bladder issue, which may or may not be helped by fasting and then peas. Depends entirely on the cause of the problem. Different causes, different solutions. If it’s a digestive issue, then fast and peas. If it’s an infection, fasting and peas won’t do a thing. Infections need antibiotics, which may or may not work. To be safe I would use one that treats both gram negative and gram positive bacterias.

My own experience with this problem is that it is the saddest of all fish deaths. I say that because the fish can live for quite a while like that, seemingly unbothered. It’s a slow death if treatment fails.

Don’t get zucked! Stand up to censorship! Someone else’s voice silenced today, yours tomorrow.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts